Multiple email.order.templates

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Hello,

Is it possible to vary the e-mail order template text based on the purchased product?  We sell some downloadable products and some that are services and require a salesperson's intervention.  Our customers are not required to log into the site in order to purchase items, so we have added a link in the e-mail order template to a page that will allow the user to pick up his purchased downloadable item for 10 days after purchase.  However, the same e-mail is going to the customers who purchased items that are not downloadable, so the link does not make sense in those cases.  We would like to find a way to suppress the download link in the e-mails where it would not be appropriate to have them.

Thanks,

Amy

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Hi Amy,

The simple answer is No.....

Although I'm a bit unsure how you stop people who haven't purchased the product from downloadling them if you don;t require a login?   Could you explain a bit more and we might get some kind of solution?

Dave.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.   We are attaching the purchased documents to the e-mail that goes to the customer from the store when their payment goes through.  We switched to the NB_Store cart (very nice, by the way!) from another online cart a few months ago, and our previous process also e-mailed purchased documents to the customers so we wanted to keep the same order fulfillment process.  We also include a link in the customer’s e-mail that directs them to a page where they can download their purchased documents for 10 days after purchase.   When the customer navigates to the page, the page uses a querystring variable in the link to look up their order, ensure that the payment status is OK and the order date is less than 11 days ago, and create the HTML links so that they can re-download the document.  The download page is not generally accessible – you have to have the link and a valid “key” in the query string that will retrieve the purchased documents for download.  If a user tries to go back to the page without a valid querystring key, the document link is not generated. Most of our online sales are for documents, so this process takes care of most of our customers.

The problem is that some of the products we sell don’t have downloads, so I am trying to find a way to suppress the e-mail link to the download page for those cases.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:21 PM
To: Amy Hofmeister
Subject: Re: Multiple email.order.templates [NBStore:187602]

Hi Amy,

The simple answer is No.....

Although I'm a bit unsure how you stop people who haven't purchased the product from downloadling them if you don;t require a login? Could you explain a bit more and we might get some kind of solution?

Dave.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2711 - Release Date: 02/26/10 02:34:00

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Hi Amy,

The first thing that comes to mind is what happens when someone purchases more than 1 product?

Because in normal operation of NB_Store you have the ability to purchase more than 1 downloadable product, the idea of having a single link won;t work.  Hence the idea for NB_Store to display the product download on the product detail page, so you can link to it from the order completed email.....however this obviously doesn;t help in your situation, where the user doesn't have to logon.

I've been trying to think of a way you can get this to work with the current store, but I don;t think there is a way unless you change your general operation. 

The only option I can think of would be to create an extra token in the "TokenStoreReplace.vb" to display your link only if one of the products in the order has a product download attached.  Obviously you need to change the source code for this and re-compile.

Your best way I think would be to change the "DoTokenReplace" function to check for your token and display what you want, much like the "[Order:TrackingLink]" does at the moment.

Regards,

Dave.