Encoding problem with special chars

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

How to encode spacial characters to transfer data ascii(csv) files or xml ÄÅÖ etc.

Any Help

Regards,

Markku

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Hi Marku,

The way I overcame this with French accents was to simply make sure the csv file was in UTF-8 format.

I'm not sure if this will work with your specific characters?...have you tried this?

Also make sure your xml mapping is using CDATA.

Regards,

Dave.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

How to change decoding for translation.  how to attach <vml version '1.0' encoding='windows-1252' to xml file.

what should be translation for &#214 versus Ä and &#196 Ö. Recommendation needed for utf-8 to windows-1252.

There is no possibility to change characters it in orinal csv file because it is outputtng automatically from the main system!

Regards,

Markku

PS. Example needed.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Hi Markku,

Unfortunatly NB_Store assumes UTP-8 on the import (Maybe that's something we should change in the next version!).  From what you say I guess that your csv file is created automatically?...Do you do the input manually, if so then you can simply open the csv in notepad and save again in UTP-8 format.

If your doing something bit more fancy like automatically loading the csv into NB_Store then you going to have to either change NB_Store code to make sure when the xml data is created from the csv it has the header "<vml version '1.0' encoding='windows-1252'/>" (In either import.vb or importcsv.vb), although I can't be sure even this will work for you.  An alternative is to have the csv file automatically convert to utf-8 by code either in NB_Store or a separate program...you'll need something like this I think..

'Convert string between windows-1250 and utf-8 charsets
Dim ByteArray
Set ByteArray = CreateObject("ScriptUtils.ByteArray")

'Read file with source code page.
ByteArray.ReadFrom "some-windows-1250-file.txt"

'Set right code page for the bytearray
ByteArray.CharSet = "windows-1250"

'Convert the data to a destination code page and save them to a second file
ByteArray.CharSetConvert("utf-8").SaveAs "utf-8-output.txt"

Obviously I've not tested this, but it gives you some options.

Regards,
Dave.