Category Discounts Quantity Range

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I need to apply a category discount based on quantity range (i.e. buy 10 ore more of this product and get a discount). It's strange that there's a quantity range on the coupons and cart discounts but not the category discounts. Is this feature in the roadmap or could someone give me a status. I need to make a decision soon whether NBStore will work for one of my clients who needs to give quantity discounts on a per product basis.

Thanks a bunch,

John

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Hi John,

I can;t remmeber the reasons for not including the range in the category discounts, but I guess is was down to the fact that the category discount creates a sale price that can be shown on the product list, if you try and place a range on it then it can only be calcualted as a cart discount......so I suppose your question should be, why hasn;t the cart discount, got a category selection?

The unhelpful answer is, it wasn;t in the spec when I created the discount system.  

As for the status of this, I agree this could be a good future enhancement, and as such I think it should be on the roadmap, but I really can;t say when or if it will be implemented.

One of my clients does this kind of range sale, by making a product bungle with options of what the selections are....obviously this will only work if you have a limited and static product range.

Regards,

Dave.

May 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Hello

I'll 2nd a request for this :)

leedavi, could you elaborate on how to make a product bundle. I'm try to   add price breaks     along the lines of

6-10 - 5% discount

11-20 - 10% discount

Is this possible with a bundle?

thx

Tony

Coordinator
May 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Hi Tony,

When I say a product bundle, I mean more of a work around with models or options.  For Example.

Create a product called: apples.

Model1 = 1 apple £5

Model2 = 2 Apples £8

Model3 = 3 Apples £10

You can also play around with the product options to get different price amount.....

The concept of releated products and a discount for multi purchase is been devloped and hopfully available in the next release!!

Regards,

Dave.

Editor
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Ill second the request for quantity discounts on a per product basis as well. :-)

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM

And a third.

With 3 for 2 mix and match offers being the most effective out there it's a must.

Guys, can you give me an estimate of how much it would cost to get this developed as am add-on for the current release if possible?

Cheers,

Greg

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Contact Dave through his profile page and he'll let you know if it's a possiblity.
Rob

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I think I've figured out a way to accomplish our particular need with just a slight snag.  I'll explain in case it's useful for anyone else.

My requirement is to have a range of products on a 3 for the price of 2 'Mix & Match' offer.  The best example of this offer, although not my prime sector, is on lunch deals.  Those of you in the UK have probably seen the offers that Boots etc do on lunches where you buy a sandwich, drink and bag of crisps and they basically discount 100% of the cheapest product in the mix "3 for 2 Lunch Mix & Match".

I started putting our store together 2 years ago in my spare time.  As Head of IT for a string of high-street retailers I've learnt over the years to choose software based on it's efficiently and flexibility, I've learnt not to buy software for the exact functionality of what it does out of the box.  I've also seen EPOS systems come to a grinding halt many a time because it's trying to work out too many discount algorithms as the counter assistant scans more and more products.  NB_Store is essentially an on-line EPOS system, the major difference being that the customer scans the product in, not the counter assistant.

I spent a good 3 months researching all of the store options out there before deciding on NB_Store which won because a.  it's locale power, b. it's category structure, c. how it renders photos and d. the back office set-up in general.  I did make a point to myself at the time that it maybe a while until the product does every single thing a retailer wants and the business would sometimes have to be as flexible as NB_Store is to get what we need.

So remembering we have to be flexible AND remembering that adding too many algorithms to the pre-cart shopping experience will decrease performance, here's what I did :

I. Created a new category specific for the products that I wish to let the customer mix and match

2. Created a Coupon Discount and applied a 33.33% discount on that category with a Min-Qty of 3 and a Max-Qty of 3.

I left the coupon code, email, users and role fields blank meaning the only active dimensions are Qty Range and Group/Category.

3. SNAG : So that I can advertise it as 'mix and match' as opposed to 'buy 3 and get 33% off' I had to ensure that our product selection for this discount category all have the same price.  (This is the us being flexible part if you hadn't guessed :-)

I spent an hour or so looking at products that I'd want in mix and match selections and it didn't turn out to be that bad for our sector.  Many products that I'd want to mix already have matching prices and I was able to use some of our margin to expand the selection by reducing other products that we're not priced that far off, and so they too now have the same price.

Obviously I can't choose just any selection I want, but then if the prices are that far off each other in the first place then it's not going to be of benefit to the business to mix them anyway and if it is then it won't be for the customer!

Thanks for adding the category field on the coupon discount in the latest release - that made this all possible!

Cheers,

Greg

Editor
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Ok so im using the workaround for per product quantity discounts by adding hidden categories for each product.
I want to have a discount for 5-9, 10-19 and one for 20+ units.

So did this:

1. Created a product names "Toy car" and set the price at 100.
2. Created a new category called "Discount Toy Car".
3. Added the "Toy Car" to that category.
4. Created a new coupon named "Toy car 5-9"
4.1. Set the Qty range "5 - 9"
4.2. Set the category to "Discount Toy Car"
4.3. Set Max usage to "0"
4.4. Set pecent to "10"
4.5 Left all other fields to their default values.
5. I repeated step 4 for all three of the quantity discounts i want to apply, setting the percent at 10, 15 and 20 respectively and also set the qty range to the proper value.

Now when i go to my store and add 5 of the Toy Cars to my cart and click checkout, it shows a unit price of 100 (which is correct) and a total of 500 (which is also correct),
but it says discount "150" (30%) though its supposed to deduct "50" (10%).

If i add another 5 units so theres 10 in the cart, the discount shd be 15% which is "150" but instead it deducts "400" meaning 40%.
If i add another 10 units so theres 20 in the cart, the discount shd be 20% which is "400" but it deducts "800" meaning 40%.

Also its acting weird when having less than 5 units in the cart.

1 units displays correct (no discount)
2 units has a 20% discount on it
3 units has 20% discount on it
4 units has a 30% discount on it

Also the per category discount doesnt seem to work either, because no matter what products i add to the cart, they all count in the quantity,
like if i add 5 Toy Cars and 5 Apples, the Toy Car gets the discount as if theres 10 units in the cart instead of the 5 thats actually there, even though the Apples have no discount relations at all.

Really hope someone can hlp me out here, my client badly need this discount model, but i just cant get it to work properly. :-S

Thx in advance
Jake

Editor
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The weirdness just increased with the coupon discount system.

I set all discounts to "0" and as expected there were no discounts being applied.
Then i set one of them to amt "50" and qty range was 5-9.

After that i added one unit to the cart which didnt receive a discount.
Then i added another unit and a discount of 12.50 was applied?!?
So i added another unit and now there were no discount applied, and nor did it apply when i hit between 5 and 9 units.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM

What happens if you equalise the quantities to Min and Max 5.  Can you try that and see if it applies before, during or after 5 items in the cart?

Cheers,

Greg 

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM

PS.  You have the Multiple Discount option disabled right?

Editor
Mar 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yep i didnt chk the "Multiple Discounts" and that was also the first thing i went to chk because i noticed that option earlier. :-)

Made a test like u suggested:

Setup a coupon to apply for testCat1 in which ive placed one product and the calculation seems to work.
I also tried to add a product from a different category and add 4 items from the discounted category along with 1 item from another category
and the calculation is still correct (no discount is applied).

So far so good as that seems to work properly.
But when i add another coupon to apply to another category, things go really bad.

Now i have two coupons like this:

Coupon1: Category "TestCat1", Qty range "5-5", Percent "10".
Coupon2: Category "TestCat2", Qty range "5-5", Percent "10".

The result is, that if i add 3 testProd1 and 2 testProd2 it gives me a discount of 20% for testProd1 and the same for testProd2.

First of all, no discount shd be applied at all.
Second it shdnt be 20%.
Third it shdnt sum up the contents of the cart accross categories for discount calculation.

As i understand my setup here shd provide a discount per category, like if i add 5 testProd1 i shd get 10% discount on testProd1,
regardless of whatever else may be in the cart as long as the other items arent in the same category as testProd1?

If i add 5 testProd2 then that shd receive a 10% discount on the same basis as testProd1?

/Me confused....  lol

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

So are we saying that the Quantity Range is not fixed to the category specified in the coupon and instead applied to the whole cart? 

Editor
Mar 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Pretty much, because the calculation is only done for products belonging to a category which has been added to a coupon.

If i have two products and add Prod1 to Cat1 and Prod2 to Cat2, then set Coupon1 to apply for Cat1 with 10% and qty 5-9, then add 9 units of Prod1 to the cart and 2 units of Prod2,
the discount works and is applied for the 9 units of Prod1.

However if i set up Coupon2 to apply for Cat2 with 10% and qty 5-9 as well and now chk my cart where i have the 9 units of Prod1 and 2 units of prod2, no discount is applied,
because now it sums up the coupon related products and as theres 11 units in the cart, its out of the coupons range.

If i mix the amounts of units so the total fall between 5 and 9, the discount applies for both products, even if theres 8 units of Prod1 and 1 unit of Prod2.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

OK Sizzler, thanks for that.  I thought I was there for a minute.

I'm going to try and raise some funding for this, it should pay for itself I hope.

Cheers,

Greg

Editor
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM

It would be very nice indeed if the discount system could be fixed. :-)
Also im very interested in the per product qty discount as my current client needs that real bad.

An estimate of the cost would be nice to have, then we can better see how much each of us will have to chip in to make it happen. :-)