product thumbnail as gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

hi, i seen that if i insert an image inside a product, the thumbnail in the product list is in jpg format.

the web designer tells me that if i insert image with vector graphics and fonts, a thumbnail as gif is much better, but i don'y find a way to configure the image type of the thumbnail.

can i change this setting?

best regards

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Hi,

The image resizing code in the store only handles with JPG images. The only benefit of a GIF over a JPG is potentially smaller file size, but only if it is manually created and with an adapted pallette. You can achieve the same quality in a JPG by adjusting the image quality options, but the result will have a larger file size than it would have if you created gif images manually.

However, I have no doubt that the quality and file size you can achieve with a JPG in the cart will be entirely sufficient. One of the reasons for making the image quality settings adjustable was so that it can be tweaked for special needs, such as for line drawings and maps. 

My advice is to upload a test image (not a GIF) to your cart and examine the result to see if you can see any problems with it.

Regards,
Rob