Importing an export from back office Utilities > Import, does not import product Models

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Is this a bug or i'm missing something?

Editor
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hi inotos,

See there : http://nbstore.codeplex.com/releases/view/34143

Look for ImportComplexProductsDocs.zip

Geoff

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Thanks Geoff, I've already seen that. But requires an excel format that i do not have and it is not self explanatory. Also I don't understand, how to import localized content, is [LANG] matched to all the store languages for all products and the content is re-writed or just for the current language?

Nevertheless I already have the xml exported from the back-office; i just want to import that to another nb_store instance, but when i try to import it, nothing, apart from the products, gets imported. 

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure where your using the [LANG] token with the import if you have XML import files?...but usually the import token is used for the current langauge, otherwise with the CSV file update you can create a mapping to a csv field for the langauge. 

However from what you say it seems your using the XML import export, In whcih case my guss is that you don;t have any model or product refs, the import system need these to match the import to existing or duplicated products/models, so make sure you have these in place.  i'd suggest you do a qucik test with a sample set of product in a test system until you sure it's OK. 

But if you have the refs setup and the same version of NB_Store for the export and import, it should be a fairly smooth process.

Dave.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Hello Dave,

I'm not sure whether this is what you mean, but I see there are some templates for this mapping. It seems I haven't completely understood how this works.

(Nevertheless I have already started to make import directly to the database, seems to be more straightforward.)

Regards,

Julian

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hi Julian,

What I mean is there are 2 ways to import data. The standard NB_Store format which uses XML and the CSV method.

If you use the XML method then you don't have to do anything apart from clicking the export and import buttons in the back office.  The part where you may have to do more is that the import does not know what "ID" is used by the exporting systems, therefore it uses the Product Ref to check for existing products and hence updates or creates new ones based on that.  if you don;t use Product/Model Refs then the import has nothing to work with!!... Although I think it'll still work, it will only create new products.  But it's best practise to have unique refs if your exporting and importing data.

As for the mapping XML settings in the BO, that's just for mapping the CSV fields to the standard XML format, you only need look at this if your using a CSV file to import.

Regards,

Dave.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Hey Dave,

I was trying to use the first method you describe with the XML file when I found out that does not import the models, but only the products (products without models). And I was wondering if this has been left out in purpose, or is just a buggy behavior.

Julian

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Hi,

No that's buggy behavior.  It should work!!...have a look at the event log in DNN to see if you have any exceptions in there.

Dave.