Manually ordering the product list

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Hi,

Is there any way to order the items other than alphabetically? I would like to manually order the items, so I can have the most important items at the top of the list.

I have checked the options when I add a product, but cannot find where to set sorting properties. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andre
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Hi Andre,

The idea in most carts including NB Store is to use the "Featured" functionality to display selected items ahead of others. I've not yet seen a cart that offers manual sorting of the entire product catalogue... probably because it would become very hard to maintain after a while.

If the Featured product function isn't sufficient then you could consider creating one or more categories for important items and then add product modules to your pages and set them to display the categories you want. In this way you can have one module displaying only the important category at the top of the page, and then another module displaying the remaining categories below.

I would probably stick to using the Featured function and come up with good categories and navigation to ensure that certain items are shown first.

Rob
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Hi Andre,

I agree with Rob and his experiance and knowledge of carts are top notch.  However another option you could use is that NB_Store sorts by Product Ref and then by Product Name, you can use a special Product ref to create a manual sort order, I have a couple of clients with a small product lists that use this method.

Dave.
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Dave and Rob,

Thank you very much for the responses. I am new to e-commerce, and your words are very helpful. I will try both approaches and see what the client likes best.

This has been a very responsive forum, and I really appreciate it.

--Andre