Store BackOffice Skin

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I'm experimenting with some modifications to your module and one of the things I did was make a second "Skin" for the back office.  I put the entire module into a seperate directory (DesktopModules\ISILM.Store) so could play around without actually messing with your original code.  When I go to the Backoffice" I get an error message about not being able to find the skin (see below).  I did change the skin path in the MainMenu.xml and MainMenuLite.xml.  If I point the xml files to the DesktopModule\NB_Store directory it works!?!?!?!   Was there anything special you had to do like "register" your skin path within the DNN installation?

Error message:

Could Not Load Skin: /DesktopModules/ISILM_Store/Skins/StoreAdmim/NB_StoreAdmin.ascx Error: The file '/DNN_492/DesktopModules/ISILM_Store/Skins/StoreAdmim/NB_StoreAdmin.ascx' does not exist.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM
Hi Chuck,
I can't think of anything else that needs doing.  I notice your using a virtual Directory, have you place the '~' at the front of your path in the xml so the code can resolve your URL?

 <skin path="~/DesktopModules/NB_Store/Skins/StoreAdmim/NB_StoreAdmin"></skin>

Also I don't know if it's a typing mistake, but you mention the directory "ISILM.Store" and it looks like your trying to use "ISILM_Store" directory in the xml?

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Thanks for the quick Reply Dave!!!

As for the tilde ('~'), yes it's in the path in the xml file...

And you are right, "ISILM.Store" is a typo.  My directory name is "ISILM_Store" and I verified that I have it correct in the xml file.  I'll find the issue.  I just wanted to make sure there was nothing special that needed doing.

Thanks again,
Apr 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I'm an idiot :-) !!! 

I just found it.  Look at the error message and specifically the name of the subdirectory under skins.  It's spelled "StoreAdmim" not "StoreAdmin".  I checked your downloads and in the zips it's spelled "StoreAdmim". 

What I think happened is when I created my copy of the module I thought I miss-spelled the directory and changed it to "StoreAdmin".  Then when I edited the xml file I only changed "NB_Store" to "ISILM_Store" in the skinpath leaving the rest of the path unchanged.  Therefore, the path in XML was looking for "~/DesktopModules/NB_Store/Skins/StoreAdmim/NB_StoreAdmin"> but the actual ditectory path is "~/DesktopModules/NB_Store/Skins/StoreAdmin/NB_StoreAdmin"

My bad!
Apr 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Hi Chuck,

Sorry, it looks like my bad typing has cause you this problem.  Thanks for pointing it out,  I'll have to update it on the release.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Hey, no worries Dave.  I can't tell you how many times these kind of things have happened in the past.  I should have noticed it earlier.

Thanks for your support and quick responses.