Lightbox vs jQuery

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM
Hi Dave,

Something else has come up...
The lightbox script used in the store interferes with jquery and when a module using jquery is on the page, both will fail to work properly. jQuery is now officially supported in DNN and a lot of modules are using it, and so the suggestion I've received from another developer is to use this lightbox instead: http://www.shadowbox-js.com/

I hope that doesn't make a mess of things :)
Rob

p.s. I notice that the script is free for non-commercial use, but has a reasonable license fee ($50) for commercial multi-developer use. If you thought it was a suitable script for use in NB_Store, then I'd be happy to donate the cost of the license to the project.
Or is there something already in jQuery that does the same thing... I dont' actually know.
Apr 17, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for this, I realized there could be an issue with jquery and lightbox, but I haven't looked into it.  This kinds of puts the nail in the coffin for lightbox in NB_Store.  Because there are issues with running jQuery in DDN4.9 (you have to change the jquery identifier) I was going to leave it until we get a stable version of DNN 5 that can be relied on. Oliver hind has done a lot of work with jQuery and we've already talk about changing the lightbox to jquery, unfortunatly he's working hard on a project at the moment and can't devote the time to NB_Store.  I do know of other lighbox effects in jquery so it might be an idea to look into them now!  I like the showbox-js, and I may use it for my own Nevoweb modules, but I'd like to keep all the source of NB_Store as open source and free for everybody as possible.

Thanks for pointing this out Rob, it's highlighted a change of pace we need to keep up with.

Thanks,
Dave.
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:39 AM
It'd be a real shame to lose the lightbox-style overlays as it really gives the cart an up to date feel.

I've just now checked a couple of other modules that have jQuery lightboxes and they are using this one:
http://leandrovieira.com/projects/jquery/lightbox/

That looks the stuff and has the right sort of license too.

The other modules have an option to not load jQuery if something else on the page is already loading it. Again, I don't know any details but perhaps that helps it work in 4.9

Rob
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link (saves me time, always happy with that:-)), I agree I'm not going to remove the lightbox effect from NB_Store, just change it to an updated JQuery version.  The implementation of a jquery lightbox has just been moved to top of the roadmap now!

Thanks,
Dave.
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Fantastic! :D