Product Templating Question

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Hi Dave,  first I should apologize for not getting back to you on the Beta of the store you sent me.  I have not been able to check it out yet due to this project I'm working on.  Thus my question below.

I am using NB_Store as the basis for a project that involves some customization that I have been working on.  With the items being sold by this client the focal point of the catalog (ProductList.ascx) needs to be the models not the products.  I am using the Categories as the top level grouping of item and Products as a second tier grouping and the Models are the actual inventory items being purchased.  In the ProductList template I need to generate a grid of models and in the ProductDetail I want to display a mix of product and model fields.  I have been looking at the templating code and it all seems to be Product Related.  How difficult do you think this will be?  Can you give me any high-level suggestions?

I would appreciate any suggestions you could send my way.  Thanks
Chuck
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:17 AM
Hi Chuck,

Don't worry about the Alpha1 version, I just sent it incase your wanted to give some feedback on the functionaility you mentioned before it goes to Beta (I tend to only fixed bugs when a version goes to Beta).  But already there is a version Alpha2, so if you do want to test it let me know and I'll send you the new Alpha2 version.

Anyway your problem with Products and Models??......Hmmm....Hmmm...Hmmm!... needs a bit of thought this one, I only designed the product list to work on listing products, not models of products.  But models being the inventory item.  One way I've done this before is by using the DNN user defined table to list products with a hyperlink passing the model and options in the URL, but I had to write a bespoke code to pick the URL and also deal with upload a file.  (www.affichefluo.com).  This is only good if you've got a static product set.

The only way I can think of doing it to be included in the NB_Store corretly is to alter the productlist.ascx to have a display models setting and then change the "populateList" method in the code to pickup a list of models (perhaps create a view to get the correct fields back so the templating can work normally) after which you could do the same with the "populateSP" method.

Hope this helps,
Dave.
Apr 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.  When looking at both the functionality of the store and the code I didn't think that what I wanted to do would be easy :-) but I thought I would run it by you.  I'm glad I did as your comments did get me thinking and I like the idea of adding a setting to ProductList.ascx.  So yes, your comments helped!

Thanks!
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM
Chuck,

When you get it working, I'd be interested in any code changes so I could look into merging them into NB_Store.

Regards,
Dave.