Menu options

May 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Edited May 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Hi

I am very new to this  have just installed the module and  created some categories, I was wondering if there is a way to  have a tree menu instead of the way it is now kind of horyzontal...

another question would be is

I can see that you can make a product list show a particular category only, so it means I can create a page for each of my categories and let each category have it's own page instead of just creating STORE  page and  have it all show on  one page? ( I will try  this and see how it will work )

Last question from me  ;) is the images

I have looked through FTP and they are there where they have to be, they were uploaded and the names and descriptions of images I can see in BackOffice BUT it doesn't show them not in Backoffice not in product description 

I have a bit hard time starting off ... but so I did  when I purchased catalook... I had to drop it eventually coz  it's just too big for me...

Coordinator
May 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Hi,

In answer to your quetions

1. No, unfortunatly the tree view is not possible at the moment, but it is something I mean to implement.

2. Yes.

3. I'm unsure what the problem is with the image, I've not heard this before. Did you get any errors when you tried to upload the images? What type of image did you try and upload?

Regards,

Dave.

Coordinator
May 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

On question 3...I was wrong I have heard about this problem before, (As you've seen from your other post!).  I take it that you've tried the permissions like I suggested on the other post?  Is the image in the correct "productimages" directory?

Dave.

May 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Oh  if I can  just do a page  for each category it is even better than tree menu  because I can make it look like whole site is a store not just one part of it, so I don't need a tree menu ;)

as  for the photo, the image is in correct directory in fact I have found where it suppose to be by looking into the properties of the image that I cannot see, I went and checked the image is there so it must be the problem with tumbnail and  lightbox, I am not that great with setting permissions, but I will try to see how can I change them ( I never had to change any permissions before ;)    )

May 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Edited May 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

2 If you cannot even see the images on the product edit page, then it could be that the images aren't loading. Maybe the images are to large for your config (4mb is usually the default).

this is my case but the images are JPG and under 30Kb... it looks like  they are not loading at all, but  I checked and they are on the server where they suppose to be, so ow I am cluless... look here

http://thai-value.com/Kidsclothes/tabid/80/Default.aspx when you roll over the image ( that is not there ) you can see the location of the image, if you type the locating into the address bar you will see the image. but I do not see in  in backoffice or the store.

and  the lastest questions are

how to add sizes to the  product ( like size s=12, m=3 l=2 available? ) and let people choose the size they want? and is it possible to have people just place orders without paying in the end?

sorry so many questions !!! ;)

Coordinator
May 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Hi

I've tried to look at the images on your site and took the "src" path from your image and tried to view it

http://thai-value.com/Portals/1/productimages/1_2c8f5.png

I couldn't see anything?...It could be a permissions problem, because I wasn't logged in it didn't let me see it? or it could be the image in not in the path "/Portals/1/productimages/1_2c8f5.png".

Could you confirm the image is in that path?

As for the options, I would suggest creating a model for each size, this way you can have a stocklevel on each product, you can do this throught the product admin, if your logged in as "manager" role, the "managerlite" role doesn't allow options and extra models.

Once you've created your models you'll have to make sure the [TAG:MODELS] token is in the product detail template your using.

Regards,

Dave.

May 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM

oh now I see where it's odd

I don't know why but as you said it's looking for .png image while the image is there  and at that  path and it was uploaded by the module there  but its JPG!!! try changing .png to .jpg and you will see the image....

now why would it be looking for png??? OOOODDDDDD

Coordinator
May 14, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Yes, obvious!  The image re-size function changes all images to jpg on upload.  The same jpg should go into the database!  I wonder if you've found a bug where the incorrect image name is going into the database?

Could you try and upload a jpg to the store and see if that works, in the meantime I look into the code and get back to you.

Thanks,
Dave

Coordinator
May 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Also, What version of NB_Store are you using?

May 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Ok  this is me being  an idiot, the images initially were .png I just did not mentioned that, when  they were uploaded they were changed into .jpg by the module, but somehow the module remembers that the uploaded image is .png and forgets that it has renamed it into  .jpg and  so is looking for png.... DAAAAAAh I like this module ;) forgetfull just as me  ;) 

what about the lastest question about order placement is it possible ? just to place the order without  actually paying for the order?

Coordinator
May 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I've tested it with the png anf gif images and it's a bug whre NB_Store places the original image name in the database.  Big oversight on my part, I've just looked at all my test images and they're all jpg.  I can't believe nobody has noticed this before.  I'm going to put a fix in the next release, until them you'll just have to use jpg to upload images.

With the placment of just order, Yes one of my clients uses the store like this, All I've done is change the cheque image to a more suitable one and changed the cheque order text template to reflect the order has been placed.

Regards,

Dave.

May 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Aha ! so I've kidof helped to see a bug ;) that's a first time  ;)

actually I can use jpg no problem so it wouldn't hurt me much ;)

2. about purchase order I also was thinking that cheque payment converted into purchase order by adjusting templates and a piture might work...

and last thought... while the module is free support can be paid ;) so that you don't have answer silly questions too many times or if yu do at least you get paid for it ;) you should have something for your effort and time... really!

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM
<abbr />
<input id="ctl00_ctl00_MasterContent_Content_PostRepeater_ctl06_PostId" name="ctl00$ctl00$MasterContent$Content$PostRepeater$ctl06$PostId" type="hidden" value="189828" />

Oh  if I can  just do a page  for each category it is even better than tree menu  because I can make it look like whole site is a store not just one part of it, so I don't need a tree menu ;)

I have an NB_Store menu skinning question:

How does one put sub-categories on their own "page" or module while keeping the category menu on the left hand side? The appearance I want for the NB_Store would have the main categories in a vertical menu on the left dnn pane with sub-categories shown graphically (with images) in the center dnn pane that a user would click on to get the product list.

Ideally, the path or breadcrumbs would display along the top of the screen (maybe dnn's top pane). My general dnn skin doesn't show breadcrumbs or Search... will this affect the NB_Store's breadcrumbs & Search facility? Can I use breadcrumbs & Search in only NB_store but nowhere else in my dnn application? Currently, I have a dedicated SHOP page where I would put these functions.

Thank you.

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Hi,

Off the top of my head I would say,

1 - create a menu page

2 - create a productlist page and add the productlist module.

3 - on the menu page put 3 category menus, one just showing the root menu, one just showing the sub menus, one just showing the breadcumbs, and link these to the productlist  page.

Obviously I've simplfied it a bit, but you should be able to do it.

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Thank you. I think what I'm doing wrong is trying to swing it all from a single dnn page. I will work with multiple pages to see if I fare any better. Do you recommend putting each Category (and associated sub-cat) and productlists on separate pages - just hidden from the DNN menu?

I'm just starting to understand the general structure of the store, and all the combinations and options with settings and templates. Your help is invaluable, and I appreciate your great patience and tremendous help! THANK YOU!

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Adding each category to it's own tab is fine if you've got a static store which won't kept changing categories,  but I tend to always try to make the store flexible so that if a category is added or removed the store still functions OK.  If you do your categories as tabs then you have to add and creates tabs as needed.

Either way is fine, it's just a matter of personnel choice.

Although from what you described before I'd look at having a home page with the category menu with images and the a product list page with just a list of categories breadcrumb etc..

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Thanks! I've successfully built the preliminary structure with the look that I want: One CategoryMenu showing only root level menu items, another CategoryMenu module showing only the breadcrumbs (with formatting that I like), and finally a CategoryMenu module displaying only the subcategory menu items with images so one gets the feeling of "drilling down" to the products (when sub categories exist). Question: the breadcrumbs show a "Home" link that is the default "Shop" page that renders the products of one of the categories. How can I change the Shop's "Home" appearance to NOT show any products and how can I change all Return links to point to the Shop's Home? Ideally, this home page would have some kind of greeting with no products listed.

So far, I'm VERY pleased with this product. I appreciate all your help on it, too! Thank you!

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:40 AM

HI dbs,

Sorry about the late reply, the email got lost in my inbox, the breadcrumb is designed to work only with the product list page, the idea of the "home" link is to revert the product list back to the defaut.  Of fthe top of my head the only way I can think of doing what you say is to create a dummy category with no products and make this the default.....not even sure if that would work!!....One other thing I use in a situation like this is a text module that picks up a URL parameter and displays content based on the URL param, in this case "catid".  If you want a copy of the module email me through codeplex and I'll email it to you.

Regards,

Dave.

P.S.  I've found a bug in the breadcrumb if you select "skip empty categories" I've fixed it in v1.1.7, which should be release as a beta either today or monday.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Hi Dave,

There is no need whatsoever for an apology. I've been working on many facets of the store in my website, and I've yet to find something that cannot be done or which you haven't helped me with tremendously! I'm amazed by how responsive and helpful you have been! I can't thank you enough. In fact, I would "rate" your product and your support A+++, 5 Stars, EXCELLENT...

Anyway, I do have another question for you. I would like to add a distinctly separate, unassociated store to my website. It would be very small, and it could be just one category under the existing store, but I can't find where/how I can "hide" one category from viewing under normal user logins, but make it additionally available to specialized, privileged users. I guess I could add a new store module to a new page, but I'm worried about over-writing or disturbing the main store that I currently have very close to what will be it's operational state.

So, if you can guide me in how I can build a second, mutually exclusive store or a special category as a subset of the existing store with user visibility privileges set on a category level, then that would be great.

Thank you for all your great help!

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Hi,

3 ways to do something like this depending on what exactly you want.

1. In your current store make a category archived, so it doesn't appear on the category menu, create another page with the productlist module which is defaulted to your archived category, with browse disabled (is you wish), give view permmisions to the page for the role you need.  This stops normal users looking seeing the category,  but doesn't do any security on the category so users could change the url manually and see the category.

2. Create a new portal as a seperate store. (obviously and bit more work, but the security can be tight)

3.  In v1.1.7 (Beta just released) there is an option to display different templates for product list and detail if the user is logged in.

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM

FABULOUS! Thank you so much! I think I'm going with option 1 for now as the number of items for my specialized store is rather small, and doesn't (as yet) warrant a separate portal/store. I'm excited to see v1.1.7! Considering your diligence in responding to my pedantic questions, I can only imagine all the goodies in store for us!

THANK YOU!!!