Affiliate Marketing Capability

May 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I'm currently setting up an affiliate marketing site and have been trying to adapt your module to my needs.

Basically, I need to display a list of products on my site from various vendors (I obtain the products pics, prices, and description from the vendors, and take ownership of it from that perspective), and when the user clicks on a product I will be redirecting them to the vendor's website.  I will not have a need for a product details page, nor for a cart, as I am not selling or shipping the products myself.  This is basically how affiliate marketing works.

I think I have a good feel how to pull it off, except, I'm not sure how to redirect the user to an external URL instead of to the product details page or to the cart, when they click on a product.  I also need the option to not have a price for a product. 

I don't have the capability to dig into the code, so I'm hoping you could recommend a solution for me.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Hi Brandon,

The first thing that comes to mind is to create a template token, but this means digging in the code.

So as an alternative that only thing I can think of is to place the URL you need in the manufacturer field of the product and then in the product list template create and "href" link using the [TAG:MANUFACTURER] token.  With the no price you can just remove it from the product list template and it won;t be displayed.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

(P.S. The ability to add links for specific products has already been highlight by one of the devlopment team, but at the moment we are unsure how or when we'll implement this)

May 18, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

That sounds like that should do the trick.  I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:00 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Everything works great Dave. 

Just one question.  Is it possible (without modifying and recompiling the code) to turn off the image resizing when uploading photos?  Being that I don't have product details pages, I would like the size of the images that appear in the ProductList module to match what was actually uploaded.

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 5:37 AM

Hi,

Yes, 2 ways to do this,

1 - In the settings BackOffice>utilities>settings there is a setting called "image.resize", set this to "9999999" and any image smaller that that size (all of them!) will not be resized on upload.

2 - In the productlist module settings, set the "List Thumbnail Size:" to the size you want or to "0" in order to use the image actual size.

Regards,

Dave.

(P.S. in version 1.1.7, which is in Alpha at the moment an option to create your own custom product field has been developed.  This could be helpful for you product link field.)

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Thanks!