subscription products

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Hi, does this system cater for subscription products?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Hi,

In order to allow restricted products based on roles, you'll have to create tabs/productlist modules and give permissions through the DNN security.

e.g.  the public productlist module only displays the products in the public category. The subscribed productlist module displays all modules, but can only be accessed by the people in certain roles.

Regards,

Dave

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your speedy response. howver, i think you may have misunderstood.

this is what i require: i am basically only going to have 2 products. one is going to be a once off payment and the other is going to be a subscription product - meaning that once the user purchases this product, he/she will be billed monthly and have that amount dedcuted from their credit card every month. that is what i need to do.

does this make more sense?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I suggest having a look at AllDNNModules' Logon Combo. That handles Paypal and one or two other gateways that support recurring charges. It works with roles of course so whatever you let the role have, the subscriber gets. There's also Ventrian's Subscription tools for another variation. That sends reminders when the payment is due. There also a new module by Data Springs that sends reminders of expiring roles. That can used fro a simliar purpose. And then there is Catalook which has some form of subscription support, but is quite a beast to deal with just for a couple of items.

Rob

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for your suggestions Rob. i currently have used Catalook and it's a real nightmare, but i guess i have no choice now but to use it again. the thing is, i was really trying to not use Paypal. i wanted to use Protx as my payment gateway. anyway, i am looking at the ALLDNNModules Logon combo liek you suggested and it seems liek it could do the trick also.

thank you soo much for your help.

Ro.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Rob, i've had a look at the DNN logon comboe module and its a module that accepts payment for registration :-( i need a system that is a store with products of which only some are subscription products. anyway, thanks again for your help. catalook it will have to be :-(

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Hi Rowena,

With the Logon Combo you would create a role for each subscribable product. It then lists these on the page where you place the module and the person can tick the ones they want and it will take them through the payment process. They can already be registered, or they can register at the same time if they aren't.

I'm using it, but am not allowing the module to set up automatic credit card charges because that wouldn't suit my customers, but it is primarily designed for that. The main caveat it has it that it can't process a free and a paid role/subscription purcchase at teh same time. This mainly matters if one puts an additional tick-box for say a newsletter subscription on the same page. The workaround is to just subscribe people to ther newsletter regardless and let them remove themselves afterwards if they want.

The other module that comes to mind is Gumbosoft's Paypal subscriptions module.. I'm not 100% certain what it's called but they have all their modules on Snowcovered easy to find. It just does Paypal-managed subscriptions and lets you make a page full of 'buy now' type buttons with descriptions alongside.

I'm not sure there's really anything that works all that great in this regard with DNN but let us know if you fing something good.

Rob

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Hello Rowena,

I too have used Catalook and have spent time and money trying to make it work but that system is a 'beast'.  Too heavy , confusing and not really written from a Business stand point.  So I am dumping it and have started customizing the Module.  I too need the Subscription Feature and have spoken to David to see if that feature can be sponsored.  Are you willing to co-sponsor that feature and help get it out and done?  This is a very good, somewhat 'bare-bone' module and it has one of the things that I fought so hard and long with in Catalook..... SPEED. 

I look forward to your reply and lets see how we can get this feature working asap either by sponsoring it or having a developer write the feature.  Which ever way, I need that feature.

Thanks,

Ade'

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Hi Ade,

I've had a look into the best way of adding this functionaity onto NB_Store.  The main problem is with the payment providers, none of which deal with reaccurring payments, after that there is a integration issue with the current store order system and the need to manage customers orders.

And here's the bottom line...to build and test this kind of system and to make sure it integrates into NB_Store correctly is a BIG BIG job.

However I think there may be a effective solution possible,  if you sponsor NB_Store to include an extra button included on the cart "Subscribe my Order", this button could simply re-direct the client to a new tab, on which would be a new bespoke module (Which you could get your devloper to do?) that would collection the needed information, save the order in it's own set of DB table and allow administration of the order and pass it onto a bespoke payment provider that could deal with the reaccuring payments issue.

This way you would get all the benefits of using NB_Store templating systems and basic store functionity, plus a seemless connection to another system/module that could deal with your needs for subscription and be devloped and tested seperate to NB_Store.

The new module will still be a large project, but you could outsource it to a less costly devopler.

Regards,

Dave.