Question on Capability

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Guys - I'm trying to find a solution for an internal use "store".  All I need is a single list of about 20 products (easy with the templating), an ability to add to cart (preferably ajax style with a mini-cart update on screen), and then a checkout with MINIMAL info.  It's internal for a hospital so all we need is the name and department, not address, shipping stuff, anything else.  We aren't tracking inventory with it.  

Is this easy to do with the base product? (meaning without needing me to customize code - templates and such are ok).

I've gone through quite a few "stores" and not found what I want - hoping this can do it.

Kevin

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Hi Kevin,

Does it need to process payments or just record the order and who ordered it?

I'm asking because it sounds almost as if a custom form would do the job best. Something like Datasprings' Dynamic Forms would let you make a list of products and check-boxes, and fields for purchaser details, all in one page.

Something similiar to the above, but more ready-to-go for processing payments and managing orders is Active Modules' Active Purchase. That's like a single page shopping cart. It's way overdue for an update however, so make absolutely sure it will fill requirements as-is before investing in it.

I would steer towards a proper shopping cart like NB Store only if there were lots of products, the products were changed often, the products needed extensive details views, and if a payment gateway other than PayPal were required (both of the above support paypal).

I think any cart is basically going to require more clicks than necessary, although one advantage of NB Store here is that it will process orders without having to create an account on the website.

Regards,
Rob

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Thanks Rob - I really appreciate your insight.

I've kind of come to that conclusion too - just hoping for an easy way out.  Plus I figure if I learn a cart I can use that knowledge on the next "client".

I did get xmod pro and am thinking I'm going to try that as it will probably be more ajax-esque.  I have played with Dynamic Forms (the 2.7 version) and was not thrilled with how it stored data in the database - it would be harder to mine for reports than what xmod pro or most carts would provide.  Not that my requirements are that extreme but I do need to do some summary reporting.

Again thanks!

Kevin