Duplicate categories in 01.01.07

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I just installed version 01.01.07 into a clean (never used) site. I get duplicate categories everytime I create one. I noticed 3 templates appeared to be duplicated when the install took place. They were categorymenucss.includes, categorymenujs.includes, categorymenustartupjs.includes. I deleted one of each dup, deleted all my categories, then recreated them but still got the dups again. shold have deleted the includes? If not, how do I get them back and how do I get rid of the dups? Thoughts?

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Hi Richard,

An issue with cross portal caching for settings on v1.1.7 (beta2) was reported on friday and I'll release a new version to solve this and other minor issues early this week.

This caching issue may account for the duplate setting, however I don't think this would have an effect on creating duplicate categories.

Obviously I'd like to find out what's going on here, could you give me a bit more information.  Question that come to mind are:

1. What version of DNN are you using?

2. How many languages are you using?

3. How many portals on the DNN installation?

4. Anything else you'd done that may be effecting it?

Thanks for the feedback,

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Dave,

What steps will I need to take to install the next release (uninstall everything or what)? Will it overwrite any template changes I've made and if so what is the recommended proceed to minimize the impact of the update?

To you questions:

1. I am on 4.9.4

2. Only one language, English

3. One portal

4. I had not taken any steps other than following the basic install as defined in the doc. I was to the point where I created my first category and notice immediately the duplicate display.

As I posted above as I started trying to figure this out I noticed from the install there were several duplicate templates in the BackOffice including categorymenucss.includes, categorymenujs.includes, categorymenustartupjs.includes. I deleted the duplicates (should I have done that and if not how do I recover them).

Update from me after doing more digging; I found in the setting for the Categories module that the default setting seemed to be causing the duplicate display. By reconfiguring the options I was able to get rid of the duplicates. My suggestion is to chanage the default settings so this doesn't throw anyone (rookies like me) off track.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Ah! you mean the category menu module, yes I agree it can be a bit confusing (You not the first person to wonder about this).

I'll see if I can change the default settings to something less confusing.

The "*.includes" duplicates you've deleted should not be an issue.  These are used in the category menu treeview, if you have a problem using this then you may have to look at putting the default back in for these, by going to BackOffice>Admin and import the DefaultMangerMenu.xml settings file.  Then because of the caching issue, restart the application from the same place in the back offcie

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Dave,

I cannot find the DefaultManagerMenu.xml file. Do you mean ManagerMenuDefault.xml? So I can import it to replace the files I removed? But can you explain why the duplicate files are there to start? What is their purpose?

And can you give some direction on the templates as well. I have run advanced searches trying to find where the templates like minicart.template reside and I can't find any of them. I am searching in the wwwroot directory.  

Thanks,

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Hi Richard,

Yes sorry I should have said "ManagerMenuDefault.xml",  The duplicates should only appear for different languages. I'll assume the fr-FR ones got installed as well, this is why you may be seeing duplicates.  This in practise shouldn;t matter, because NB_Store searchs the settings and templates by first looking for your languages (for example en-US), if it can't find that then it will look for the "None" setting or "Default" template.

All the templates and settings are store in the database you can edit or create then from  Back Offcie>Utilities>Templates.

Regards,

Dave.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:53 PM
Sorry to bother you Dave. I am looking to create some icons(images) or text like GF, LF, FF, NS, YF, etc which are product information that denotes things like 'gluten-free, Low-Fat, etc' I was thinking about using the 'productdataxml' for it but the check-box does not allow me to select more than one value for display at a time. What is the easiest and best way around this. This is just for display purposes only and does not perform any claculations nor does it need to be in the DB. Also, if the text is the easiest way, how can I make the taxt bold, certian font, and color and size, etc if there is a way to use the 'productdataxml'?
Please help me with a sample code to use.
Thanks for any help u can afford me as I need to get this done asap.

Ade'
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Hi,

I've done something simular in a different project, with a more sophisticated templating system, where I could use checkboxlist, I've not included this in NB_Store.  However I think if you put 5 checkboxes in the xml you should be able to build up some html structure to display an icon if checked and a blank icon if not check.

Regards,

Dave.