Paypal and DNN

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Hi,

First off I have to say I love this Module. Its fantastic. 

I am having problems understanding how the paypal module is setup and configured. I have created a test account at the paypal sandpit, but what Paypal Merchant Service do I set up?  There are different types. Is it the Payflow Payment Gateway.

I am very confused how all this hangs together and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Hi Ben

Hop along to paypal.com, click the sign-up link and you should be given 3 choices, Personal, Premiere and Business. Get the Premiere account. Once you've confirmed your email, you should also add your credit card to the account and verify it. Paypal then charges a couple of bucks to the card along with a code that you type back into the paypal account to verufy that you are the cardholder.

Then you're ready to configure the Paypal bits in the cart. Your paypal email address is all that is needed.

Come back when you've got that far and if you have any trouble with the config - you'll find it a lot easier to ignore the Paypal sandbox and just configure it as a live site.

Rob

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hi Rob. Thanks for the reply. I have already signed up as a Business Account as we are a registered business.   I havent set up the bank account yet as we are waiting for the bank...as always

I have been playing with the sandbox but its doing my head it.  NB _Store didnt have a setting for PayPal.gateway so I added it manually.  

If I configure it as a live site will it process payments?

Cheers

Ben

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Hi Ben,

Just a note on the paypal sandbox, in France unto 6 months ago the sandbox worked fine, since then I've been unable to test on the paypal sandbox.  However my live sites using paypal are still functioning OK.  When I get another client who wants paypal I'll have to look into the reason, but for now, like Rob says it's probably easier to jump straight at the live.  (Which I think is just awful.....I've just tested paypal sandbox again now, and I'm still getting the paypal sandbox website, but no option to pay?...)

Dave.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for that. I will try with a live account and see what happens.  When a customer orders product, can they pay by credit card or do they have to have a PayPal account.  ie. are they required to sign up to Paypal?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for the help

Ben

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Paypal seems to accept credit cards unto 3 times, after that it seems to force the user to get an account.  At least it was like this the last time I tried it, you can try asking paypal support  the only good thing I found about paypal was that the guys on the support desk were great.

Dave.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Yes use the live account... the sandbox has too many unkowns to be of use.

The way it works is that the buyer is directed to a page on paypal where they can either sign into a paypal account if they have one, or they can create one, or more usefully, they can click a link to pay directly by credit card.

When using a live account for testing, all you need to check is that you have turned up on the paypal payment page with the correct amount and currency. Then you can simply cancel and return and test again if you need to. Once you're ready to go live, put a one dollar product on the cart and buy it. Make sure you make the purchase using an email address that is not registered at PayPal or it will insist that you sign in. If you're really fussy, you can refund the payment again immediately.

I've been filling out Paypal developer surveys for years now making a big deal of the fact that it needs to be very obvious that one can pay by credit card without a paypal account. It is more obvious than it used to be, but even so, I still make a point of stating in my checkout that "Credit card payments are processed securely at PayPal.com - A PayPal account is not required". I also always use one of the PayPal graphics that features the credit card logos more prominently - it's not that great to use one that only has a PayPal logo on it. I also don't really refer to Paypal anywhere else - I just refer to payment by credit card.

Rob

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Hi...Thanks for the replies. It is up and running. You are right. It couldnt be easier in the live environment. Thanks for your help!  Much appreciated.

Of course I have more questions though.  Is it possible to have the Paypal screens appear as an iframe within your site, rather than opening a new page? 

Rob, i have to agree with your comments about it not being very clear that you can pay by credit card.  They are obviously pushing for people to sign up.

Cheers

Ben

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM

No, I'm afraid not. It's against their policy and the browser can't display the https lock for a framed page. It'd be too easy to make afake one. I haven't tried it, but I'd also expect the payment page to have a frame breaker script.

The Paypal page is generally fine as it looks clean and safe, and you can even put your own logo on it, but make sure the file has a secure server path. The only issue really is getting people focused on the 'pay without an account' link rather than the sign-up.

Dave and someone else here were attempting to get the cart to populate the paypal form with data already typed into the cart, which will also help a lot, but it needs some extra work.

Payal does have systems that work within your website, but they don't work in all coutnries and so I've not been able to use them.

Rob

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Thanks Rob. all is working well. Just making a few small changes before getting all our products in.

Hopefully my last question........can you change the address input form on the checkout?  We are using the option that doesnt require users to be registered with the site.  We just want to simply the form. for example, remove the Cell field.

Other than that, we are nearly right to go.

Cheers

Ben

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Hi Ben,

There's no switch to turn them on and off as yet, but you can hide the fields in a couple of ways for now.

If you were planning on hiding or unhiding them regularly on differetn portals in teh same DNN isntance, you could add classes to each of the table rows in Address.ascx. Then it's simple matter of using display:none in the portal.css to hide the rows you don't want.

Alternatively, if you just want to hide a row immediately without creating a re-usable system as above, you can examine the page source when you're viewing the address collector, and look for something like this:

tr id="dnn_ctr4110_CheckOut_billaddress_rowCell"

The id number will be different, but the rest will match. Copy the ID you find and then put the equivalent of this in your portal.css:

#dnn_ctr4110_CheckOut_billaddress_rowCell{display:none}

You'll see the other rows there as well if you want to hide any of them.

Rob

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM
Thanks Rob. I will give it a go.  Thanks again for all your help. Its a great product

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:59 AM, robax <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Ben,

There's no switch to turn them on and off as yet, but you can hide the fields in a couple of ways for now.

If you were planning on hiding or unhiding them regularly on differetn portals in teh same DNN isntance, you could add classes to each of the table rows in Address.ascx. Then it's simple matter of using display:none in the portal.css to hide the rows you don't want.

Alternatively, if you just want to hide a row immediately without creating a re-usable system as above, you can examine the page source when you're viewing the address collector, and look for something like this:

tr id="dnn_ctr4110_CheckOut_billaddress_rowCell"

The id number will be different, but the rest will match. Copy the ID you find and then put the equivalent of this in your portal.css:

#dnn_ctr4110_CheckOut_billaddress_rowCell{display:none}

You'll see the other rows there as well if you want to hide any of them.

Rob

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com