Order Email Form

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2009 at 4:18 AM

I would like to be able to edit the order form to remove some stuff out of there I basically need the ability to email the order number with a few fields especially minus the. 

No shipping 
Ship the order to the billing address. 
Separate shipping address. 
No shipping 
Ship the order to the billing address. 
Separate shipping address. 

I edited the CheckOut.ascx.resx and I was able to remove the text but not the ? and not the radio button and it also broke the process so i did something wrong and put it back.  Please direct me to the write location.  Oh I have also reviewed the discussions and the documentation and cannot find how to solve this problem but I admit I probably missed it so if so please accept my apology.

Thanks

UadChaps

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Hi, I'm not sure that post has come through in one piece.

Are you trying to remove parts of the checkout process, or are you trying to remove parts of the email that is sent to customers?

Rob

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Rob,

I'm trying to remove parts of the checkout process, specifically the order form part where it asks for email address, physical address..etc.  I would like to remove the shipping options and the line above them as well as all the ? marks related to the shipping options.  This is going to be used as request for information instead of an actual order form so I don't need all the shipping stuff in it.  Hope this makes since and thanks.

UadChaps

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Ok I see what you mean.

You're going to have to modify DesktopModules/NB_Store/CheckOut.ascx directly, meaning you'll need to re-apply any mods after a modules updates. I do this for virtually all modules I have and it's no greate drama, especialy if you use the free Winmerge app to do a compare of new release PA's with the previous one to check if the file has even been changed since.

If you're using the store in otehr portals at the same time, I suggest just hiding sections of the page using CSS rather than by way of visible="false" attributes.

For example, in Checkout.ascx the shipping/billing address radio buttons are in a fieldset tag at line 69.

Simply add class="HideThis" to that fieldset tag and then put .HideThis{display:none} into the portal.css of the target portal.

You can add the same class="HideThis" to any other components you want to remove. It's usually better to add it to a table row containing a label and an input rather than to individual cells, otehr wise there's a risk of breaking the table. Also, if you want to make an asp or dnn control hide-able, you normally need to add cssclass="HideThis" rather than class="HideThis"

Now... beware that you don't hide something that is required. There's a checkbox in the checkout settings to enable minimum validation on the address collector, and you'll obviously need to do this, but I believe it still requires an email address. This won't matter if your audience has to sign in, but it would stop the form being submitted for anonymous buyers.

Once you've made the changes, save a copy of the changed file into the same location so that you can easily copy or re-apply the changes in future.

If you wanted to avoid making any changes to the code, you can usually target specific items from the stylesheet by usign compbinations of module ID's and other selectors to hide things. That's a job that has to be done hands-on using the Firefox/Firebug combo.. not really something I can write up here.

Hope that makes sense... and depending on what Dave thinks, there may be some sense in taking the minimum validation option one step further, to provide checkbox to skip the address collection altogether.

Rob

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM

Rob,

I wanted to thank you very much for this information.  I need to read through it and make sure I understand it fully and if I have any problems I will post back.

Thanks again

UadChaps

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM

You're very welcome.

One tip - I noticed in the current beta that Dave has put a div with class="nb_store_ShippingOptions" around the shipping fieldset in checkout.ascx, so that means you can now hide that particular item by simply putting .nb_store_ShippingOptions{display:none} in your portal.css

Rob

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Hi, I have a little change that I'm hoping to get help on before introducing a problem to my NB-Store application. First, I have the system set to require (and check for )an email address only (no checking the billing or shipping address). Also, I allow non-logged in users to buy. When a non-logged in user enters their billing address on the (stage 2) screen, and then (via the radio button option) decides to add a shipping address, the billing address gets cleared, and the shipping address fields appear - also blank.

Question: Can I move the radio button fieldset to just under the Email fieldset by simply moving the definition of the radio button fields up in the CheckOut.ascx.resx file, or do I need to move the actual fieldsets in the CheckOut.ascx file, also?

Thanks in advance for your help! I am a very satisfied user of NB-Store.

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Hi dbs,

hmm it's a bit odd. When I tested this just then, it behaved exactly as you have described - the email address field cleared when I opened the second address collector.. But when I try it again now, the email address stays put.  There's a chance that the web browser might be holding onto the address the second time. Let's wait and see what the master developer says about it.

For your other question... yes, you need to make the change in CheckOut.ascx. The order of items in the resx file has no bearing on the layout - it strictly affects the labels.

Regards,
Rob

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Thank you Rob, for looking into this. I have reordered the items so that the radio button fieldset appears first. Now the page is re-rendered according to the option selected (displaying the Shipping Address along with the Billing Address, or not) at the start of the page data entry. So, if the user enters their data from top to bottom, they won't encounter this issue. Of course, if they change their radio button selection after filling in addresses, everything gets cleared ... this only occurs for a non-logged-in user. My client is aware of my stop-gap solution, so I look forward to the master dev's opinion.

Ultimately, I hope to enable the full address-checking and error handling, and eventually pass all addresses to Paypal, but that's down the road a bit.

Thank you!

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Hi,

I though I'd gotten over this problem in v2.0 by saving the address details to a cookie on the client PC, maybe I've missed something?.....wait...

I've just tested this on the demo website and it seems to be working OK.

Are you using version 2.0?

Regards,

Dave.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I'm using V01.01.06, and I'm obviously overdue with an upgrade. It seems that I need to upgrade to V2.0! Thank you and I'm sorry for spending your time unnecessarily.