Cannot update listing template and alternating template

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Hello.

I have just started working on a pre-existing DNN/NB_Store install. For some reason, I am unable to update the "List Template" and "Aternating Template" features. When I update and save them, they become updated in the control panel, but no change is made to the resulting product list.

I suspect that there is some kind of permissions issue, but I don't know where to begin. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Hi netwiz,

Check the settings of the product list module and make sure it has the templates that you are modifying applied.

Regards,
Rob

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.

See, the funny thing is that if I alter the templates which are being displayed, the alterations show up no problem. But then if I use the drop-down selector to change which templates are being displayed, that has no effect. None whatsoever.

Let me clarify with an example. If I have two templates:

ProductList1.template contains: THIS IS PRODUCT LIST 1

ProductList2.template contains: THIS IS PRODUCT LIST 2

So I go to the product list module settings for the page, and tell it to use ProductList2 as the template and as the alternating template. It continues to display:

THIS IS PRODUCT LIST 1

Any ideas?

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Well, I think I've resolved my own problem. To my surprise, newly added product lists do not exhibit the same problem.. only pre-existing ones. So I'm deleting the existing ones, and adding new ones.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM

A final update on the topic. It turned out that the settings were being overwritten by the category settings. I have set category settings to "Default" and now the program behaves exactly  as expected.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Hi Netwiz,

I'm unsure why this situation should be happening, the only thing I can think of is a caching issue with the templates....although I thought we got all of those by v2.0.6... (or even before!!)

What version of NB_store are you using??

Also if you can recreate this problem, I'd be interested in the steps you have to do in order to recreate the issue.

Regards,

Dave.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:57 PM

The version variable is set 02.00.07.

Please disregard my second-last comment though.. it looks like that behavior was a coincidence. My confusion was caused by being unaware of the category settings which are in the NB Store control panel. Once the values in that control panel were reset, the problem completely disappeared.

1. To recreate the behavior, simply edit a product-category in the control panel, and assign a template other than "default".

2. Add a product listing to a page, and set the default product-category to the one you have created. It will take on the templates assigned in the product-category control panel.

3. Edit the settings of the product listing in the page. Change the templates. They will not override the control panel settings.

This could very well be a design behavior, but it seems to me that it should be the other way around.. the control panel should set the assumed settings, and the page settings should override them.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Hi,

Yes, this behaviour is by design.  The idea being you don't want to create multiple product list modules, but you can have products in multiple categories, so this gives more flexability.

Regards,

Dave.