Confirmation email and order time-stamp

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I have the store installed and seemingly working well, with two exceptions - so far.

When a Paypal order is placed the customer receives the notification emails from the store and Paypal. The merchant email address also receives confirmation from Paypal. However, the merchant email address does not receive a confirmation email from the store.  If I use cheque payment, both the customer and merchant addresses receive the confirmation, it's only with a Paypal order.

The only other drawback so far is that orders are time stamped with the server time rather than picking up the site timezone setting.

No doubt I'm missing something obvious but this is all new to me, so any suggestions appreciated...

ArgelV

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Hi,

I've just looked at the paypal provider code to check what it's doing and the only thing I can think that would cause this behaviour would be if you don't have IPN setup on paypal and your deleted/cleared the "paymentunverified.email" template.

Do you have your IPN setup and it it working OK?

Dave.

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:49 AM

With the time stamp, that's the only way at The moment.  But maybe we could put in a future release a setting to shift the server time to local time when making the timestamp.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM
leedavi wrote:

Hi,

I've just looked at the paypal provider code to check what it's doing and the only thing I can think that would cause this behaviour would be if you don't have IPN setup on paypal and your deleted/cleared the "paymentunverified.email" template.

Do you have your IPN setup and it it working OK?

Dave.

Many thanks for the reply but neither of those seem to be the problem. I know I haven't deleted the 'paymentunverified' template because I haven't given Paypal a bank account, only a card, and so valid orders are anyway flagged unverified on return.

As to the IPN, the information seems to be being returned properly - the user gets the confirmation email from the shop and the order is recorded correctly. It's Just the merchant email is missing. It's not crucial, just a slight wrinkle and no doubt down to me. Doesn't alter the fact that it's a great package and we owe the authors a debt of gratitude.

ArgelV

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Hi,

Check your log file to make sure your IPN is working,

under your root portal directory you'll find a directory called "LogFiles", in there are the NB_Store logs. If your IPN is working then you'll see an entry called - "IPN = ....",

The paypal verification is to verify that the payment was made, not that the paypal account have been verified, so you should get a "PaymentOK" status on your order if the IPN is working correctly.

Regards,
Dave.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Now I’m really confused, because there’s no reference at all to ‘ipn’ in the log file.

This is the IPN setting copied from Paypal

Notification URL

...org/Shopwindow/ShopCheckout/tabid/68/stg/4/Default.aspx

And this is the setting copied from my Paypal gateway:

<ReturnNotifyURL>...org/Shopwindow/ShopCheckout/tabid/68/stg/4/Default.aspx</ReturnNotifyURL>

Unless I’m missing something they’re the same.

I’m wondering about the fact that everything comes back unverified, even though the payment is successful. I came across this in an earlier thread and wondered if it was relevant:

Just a tip on the IPN, aside from the importance of having the /stg/4/ in the ReturnNotifyURL, you also need to give your store a few seconds to connect to paypal and check the IPN, if you return to the store too quickly, the order will not have had enough time to validate the order and so will show Payment unverified.

So give it about 5 seconds or so, that was driving me crazy, such a simple thing :)

I have no idea what it means but it seems to describe at least part of my problem. Is the email not being sent for the simple reason that the payment comes back unverified (which I wrongly thought was down to the account not being verified)?

ArgelV

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Hi,

This looks OK, so I'm unsure why your getting the unverified orders... the only thing I can think of is that the IPN from paypla is not working for some reason.  I think simple putting in the url activates it, but I seem to recall a checkbox that needs setting as well.

Check this setting and get back to me?

You can also test if the autoresponse code it putting the "IPN=....." record in the logs by simply type in the notify url in the browser address bar.....so you should be able to see if the code in NB_Store is being trigger.....and hence be sure the IPN isn't getting there.

Also edit the post you've made to remove the url's, otherwise you'll have search engines hitting your autoresponse code and posting nonsense in the logs..

Regards,

Dave.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for bearing with me on this - much appreciated.

The IPN is definitely being sent. Paypal says it is and when I asked it resend the last five, they all appeared immediately in today's log. I think in response to your previous reply I must have checked the wrong day's log. Yesterday's does have IPN= entries for the orders that were flagged as unverified.

I then entered another order and completed it. I received notification from Paypal, both as customer and merchant. I also recieved one email from the shop, to the customer, but it was the payment unverified email.  In the BackOffice order list the order is flagged as 'payment not verified'. The IPN for this order appears in the log as....

1/17/2010 4:57:33 PM -  - IPN = NEvoWeb.Modules.NB_Store.Gateway.PayPalIPNParameters

So Paypal accepts this as a valid order but somewhere along the line the shop is perceiving it as payment unverified.

ArgelV

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Have you tried processing a payment using a credit card that isn't associated with a PayPal account... I have found that PayPal responds differently depending on whether it is a PayPal account payment or one directly from a credit card. Create a one Dollar product and try buying it, or send me a link and I'll buy it if you haven't got a second credit card handy.

In the NB Store PayPal docs we have these two troubleshooting points to consider:

20. Trouble-shooting

c.  If you do not specify the IPN URL in your PayPal profile, you will still be able to process credit
card payments, but payments made via PayPal accounts may show as "Payment not
verified".

d.  If you are getting strange fees added to the price, or any other odd behaviours, consider
whether your PayPal account was ever configured for any other purposes. You may have
applied special charges or shipping fees. These are all accessible in the PayPal Profile tab -
Check and ensure everything is clear.

Regards,
Rob

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Also Make sure your using the latest version of the paypal provider... v1.2.1.   You download this from codeplex ...http://nbstore.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=28920

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM

OK, colour me stupid. The IPN was working but there was an error in the URL. Strangely it still brought up the cart when entered into the browser so I was lulled into a false sense of security.

All is now well and apologies for wasting your time.

ArgelV

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Excellent, great to hear it's working now

Rob

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

ArgeIV, would you mind telling me what you found incorrect about your URL? I am running into a similar issue. Thanks!