Product category import

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:56 AM

hi,

I'm trying to import a supplier product list into NB_Store and have struck this issue to start with. My supplier uses up to two sub-categories in their product list. Am I able to duplicate this?

Below is a sample of the categories list

===========================================

Adapters,Surge & Spike Protectors,Power Supplies
Adapters,Industrial Communications,Notebook Accessories
Adapters,Graphics Cards,Assembly
Adapters,Cables - Other,
Adapters,,
Adapters,Memory - Secure Digital,
Adapters,Cables - Other,
Adapters,Power Supplies,
Adapters,Motherboards,
Adapters,Graphics Cards,
Adapters,Network - Wireless & Bluetooth,
Adapters,Notebook Accessories,
Adapters,Network Adapters,
ADSL Modems,Refurbished,Network - Wireless & Bluetooth
ADSL Modems,Network Switches,Network - Wireless & Bluetooth
ADSL Modems,Network - Wireless & Bluetooth,Modems
ADSL Modems,Network - Wireless & Bluetooth,
ADSL Modems,,

=================================================

Could you please let me now if I can do this and how.

cheers

MartyNZ

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:41 AM
I take it that your doing a CSV import. You can do this by adding the categories into a false record at the top of you import file. with both category name and parent category. Have a look at this work item, it'll give you an idea: http://nbstore.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=4409 However I think if this is a one time import it might be easier to create the categorries manually? If you have to many to do manually you could also look at creating the import xml for categories and use the xml format. Just export some example categories and it'll give you the format you need to create to do the import of categories. Regards, Dave.
Mar 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM

So,

I do a category import setting up [COL:1] as <ParentName> and [COL:2] as <CategoryName> and [COL:3] as... what?

How do I say

If ( [COL:3] is not empty)

{

Use [COL:3] as <CategoryName> and [COL:2] as <ParentName>

}

Else

{

Use [COL:2] as <CategoryName> and [COL:1] as <ParentName>

}

Cheers

Martyn Cook

Solutions Online

Sent: Tuesday, 23 March 2010 7:42 p.m.
To: martyn@solutions-online.co.nz
Subject: Re: Product category import [NBStore:206958]

I take it that your doing a CSV import. You can do this by adding the categories into a false record at the top of you import file. with both category name and parent category. Have a look at this work item, it'll give you an idea: http://nbstore.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=4409 However I think if this is a one time import it might be easier to create the categorries manually? If you have to many to do manually you could also look at creating the import xml for categories and use the xml format. Just export some example categories and it'll give you the format you need to create to do the import of categories. Regards, Dave.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4966 (20100322) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Hi,

I think what you need to do is three columns....CategoryName;Parentname;FakeproductRef;

Before a category can be applied as a child of a parent, that parent must exist...so you need to load in your parent first  ...i.e.  Categoryname;<NONE>;FakeREF......after that you can load in your children  categoryName;ParentName;FakeRef..

Regards,
Dave.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I'm sorry Dave but this is getting quite tiresome and I have to get this working...

I've reduced the categories to two levels in order to fit your schema, I've added the parent categories at the top of the csv file with fake product ref's (BTW I'm now working with productCSV.importmapping)

and it doesn't seem to matter whether I set the <categoryName> or <parentName> to the column of the parent category, I end up with the same error,

"System.Xml.XmlException: There are multiple root elements. Line 1, position 2195..." (the positiion may vary)

Can you send me your email address so I can send you the files I'm working with and you can help me sort this once and for all.

Cheers

MartyNZ

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Hi Marty,

Contact me through codplex, by click on my name and I'll reply so you can send me the files your stuggling with.

Bear in mind data import can be a very time consuming business....it involves a hell of a lot more than people first think and it's a thankless job (I once lost 4millon GBP transfering a tax system...even after 25 pretests that in total lost less than 10,000...that was a fun two weeks to get it sorted!!). I would suggest first of all just trying to do a simply import and then build up from there.

Also have a look at the  NB_Store log...Portals/<your portal>/Logfiles...in there you may get a better explaination of what's going wrong....but from the sound of the error is looks like the xml file is invalid...this would indicate that you xml mapping setting is incorrect.

Regards,

Dave.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Hi MartyNZ:

Did you ever figure out if you could have conditionals in your templates?. I am facing a similar issue where the distributor has one main category and up to 4 subcategories.

Any help is appreaciated!

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:15 AM

No, I eventually gave up on the import process (and haven't completed the related project (personal project)).

However, having said that this thread was in relation to v1.2 of the product. In theory I know the import process works but it's waaaaay more involved than I originally anticipated. (no fault of the NB_Store team)

I'm about to re-start this project that will probably lead to another attempt, so watch this space.

BTW. The support for this product is AWSOME!! Post a thread and you bound to get  a result.

cheers

MartyNZ