Notes made during first test of NB_Store_01.00.09_Beta_Install

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I've been taking notes during my first run through this module. This is a good way to demonstrate where things were confusing, didn't work, or could be altered/improved. I hope it's the sort of feedback desired. 

Notes made during first test of NB_Store_01.00.09_Beta_Install

• Do roles have to be Manager and ManagerLite or can they be anything.
  • Docs suggest that both roles have to have page edit permissions – maybe that should be view permissions.. page edit rights seems unnecessary.
  • Have now placed modules on pages – unsure where to begin.
  • Am adding categories.
  • Suggest sort order be optional and perhaps sort alphabetically by default.
  • After clicking Update, it is unclear what has happened. The page refreshes and stays the same. Do I press cancel to add another category? Needs to be a logical way to add the next category and then to exit.
  • Would be useful if the categories and sort orders were listed visibly on the page. Even better if there were an up/down category sorting tool rather than manual numbers. Perhaps combine the category list and the Add category pages into one?
  • Have now gone to Admin Settings.
  • Setting the administrator email – unsure what the “Host” checkbox is for?
  • I notice that extensive localization is obviously a significant feature of the module. I’ll be sticking to US English however for the tests.
  • I also now notice that probably all screens are using the “Cancel” link as the “Return” link.
  • Ok, now I can also see where the manager and managerlite roles can be specified, thus answering my question further up.
  • Some things are going to be well beyond the abilities of a shop owner to understand – e.g. the ordersreport.xsl
  • I’m also now unsure why each setting here has the “unique name to indentify the setting” field – are people supposed to change it in certain cases?
  • Eeek – the paypal gateway setting seems too complex. Most paypal modules just have a field to insert one’s paypal account email. Could this be greatly simplified?
  • The gateway looks like it is set up for sandbox use – time for me to check out the documentation... hmm.. yes the paypal bit is definitely too complex for non-techy people to configure. Even I’m going to have trouble sorting this out.
  • I’m removing the “sandbox.” From the paypal urls – I don’t know if this is correct however. How would anyone know?
  • I’ve put my own paypal email address in
  • Do I need to change the “cartname” setting? I’ll leave it as is
  • I’ve put the domain in the button image link
  • I’m trying to construct the other links:
  • <ReturnURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/5/ordID/[ORDERID]/Default.aspx?PayPalExit=RETURN</ReturnURL>
  • <ReturnCancelURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/5/ordID/[ORDERID]/Default.aspx?PayPalExit =CANCEL</ReturnCancelURL>
  • <ReturnNotifyURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/4/Default.aspx</ReturnNotifyURL>
  • Have pointed all to the same page for now.
  • Result is:

<root>

<paymentURL>https://www.paypal.com/xclick</paymentURL>

<verifyURL>https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr</verifyURL>

<PayPalID>my-paypal@address.com</PayPalID>

<CartName>TEST</CartName>

<ButtonImageURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Desktopmodules/NB_Store/img/paypal60x38.gif</ButtonImageURL>

<Currency>EUR</Currency>

<ReturnURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/5/ordID/[ORDERID]/Default.aspx?PayPalExit=RETURN</ReturnURL>

<ReturnCancelURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/5/ordID/[ORDERID]/Default.aspx?PayPalExit =CANCEL</ReturnCancelURL>

<ReturnNotifyURL>http://www.mydomain.com/Shop/tabid/104/stg/4/Default.aspx</ReturnNotifyURL>

<MerchantLanguage>fr</MerchantLanguage></root>

·         This really needs to be simplified.

·         Have now also set the store email to my own.

·         Setting tax default – not sure if I need to put the % symbol in or not.

·         All these screens need save and return or update buttons or something. Clicking cancel isn’t intuitive at all – cancel should mean return without saving.

·         I’m looking at “Admin Clients” now. The info displayed is very brief. Should this not also show the remaining profile details such as their address/es?

·         Not sure why it’s allowing me to change customer email addresses.

·         It has “Unlock user” in there.. not sure what this is for?

·         Now I’m adding a product because I think I’ve pretty much done everything else that I can do at this point. Maybe this will get it working.

·         Manufacturer should be a dropdown to select from a list of manufacturers created elsewhere in advance.

·         Product should definitely be able to be added to more than one category.  Make category selection a set of check boxes or a treeview control with check boxes instead of a dropdown.

·         I’ve been finding the whole workflow to be a bit upside down in this module. It doesn’t seem to follow the top-down workflow that dNN and other modules use.  Suggest putting things like Update and Cancel buttons at the bottom of the pages. Sometimes they are at the top – as in the product page.

·         Ok.. moment of truth!

·         I’ve added a product, three models, two images, 4 options.

·         I go to the page containing CategoryMenu  and ProductList  but can’t see anything.

·         If I click on category A, a large square is displayed as follows: (image not included here - just shows red X in the middle)

·         Clicking on the missing image leads to a dead page with this in the address bar: product:ImageURL

·         I’m obviously missing something, but I’m not sure what.

·         I’m looking at the module settings in NB_Store_ProductList

·         I probably have to specify some thigns in here, but I’m unsure what.

·         I’ll ut some random figures intot eh list, details and gallery image size boxes – not sure what needs to go in there.. is it width and height? I’ll just put single values of 200 in each..

·         Ok that didnt’ work, so I’ll leave it alone now and send this off.

·         Hang on... just on a wild guess I selected “productlist.template(none)” off the List template menu and that seems to have made a thumbnail show up. I’ll set the same for the alternating product and then also the detail one for the detail display and see what happens.

·         Ok that has sort of worked. I’ll carry on and play with this.

·         Ideally, any module should be nearly as ready to go as possible – that means most fields should be pre-populated with usable data and most options preset with useful defaults.

·         The checkout procedure looks good.

·         Would be great if the product list in the cart had small thumbnails next to each item.

·         Paypal isn’t showing as a payment method.. I’ll dig around and see if I can find how to enable it.

·         Again, just on a whim I’m going to see if that “Host” check box has anything to do with this.

·         Hmmm nope – how does one enable the paypal option?

·         I’ve tried using the cheque payment method and it goes through to a new page. The totals on this page no longer have the tax added even though tax was being displayed in the previous page – not sure if this is a bug?

·         I’ve also just noticed the following exception in the event viewer. I don’t know if it matters or not – you’ll know better:

AssemblyVersion: -1

PortalID: -1

PortalName:

UserID: -1

UserName:

ActiveTabID: -1

ActiveTabName:

RawURL:

AbsoluteURL:

AbsoluteURLReferrer:

UserAgent:

DefaultDataProvider:

ExceptionGUID:

InnerException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

FileName:

FileLineNumber: -1

FileColumnNumber: -1

Method:

StackTrace:

Message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalController.GetCurrentPortalSettings() at DotNetNuke.Services.Localization.Localization.GetEnabledLocales() at NEvoWeb.Modules.NB_Store.ProductListController.GetSearchItems(ModuleInfo ModInfo) at DotNetNuke.Services.Search.ModuleIndexer.GetSearchIndexItems(Int32 PortalID)

Source:

·         I’m having a play to see if I can make the categories list display in a vertical list. I enter 1 in the number of columns field and that makes it a column, but it has the vertical line separate and I can’t see how to remove that.

·         Perhaps there could be a Separator HTML field in the module settings?

I’ll make a break here and send these notes off - there'll be plenty more to come.

This module shows great promise. Thanks again for putting it out here and developing it further!
Regards,
Rob

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:53 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry it's taken so long to answer, but I've been out of the office for the last week.

This kind of first run through comments is great to identify what kind of things needs to be looked at, so thankyou for your time.

You've got a lot of points to make and most of it seems the lack of documentation problem, I'm trying to improve this but as you probably understand the first thing to suffer when software is created for in-house use and then made open source is the documentation.

The error log issue has been reported and fixed for the 10.00.09 release.  Other enhancement are in progress for the 01.00.10 version, but I'll take on board your comments and try to implement what I can for version 01.00.10.

A simple installation document answering your comments would also be of use, so I'll have a look at producing this.

Thanks for you feedback,
Dave.
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 8:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave,
I'll wait for the 01.00.10 release and then give that a good going over for some more feedback. Make sure the releases are posted in the announcments forum so that it stays on people's radar. Things can get lost out here on codeplex.

Great to see the ongoing development!