source code how to

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM
Hello! Please could you help me - i'm new to dotnetnuke (but not to .net) and i can not find out how to work with the source code in visual studio.

I tried this :
1. created a new website from the dnn starter kit and installed portal  using wizzard
2. installed nb_store module from the source code zip
3. extracted the sources to the directory

this approach is not working. But if i find out how to get it work, how to buid an install package after i make some minor change to fit my scenario?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM
Hi,

You seem to almost there!... I'm aware that getting the source to work straight out of the zip is a bit difficult for people not use to DNN, but time only allows so much!!...

I'll try and explain what you need to do, but it's a bit difficult without knowing you exact circumstances, so don't be too critical if you have to make changes to get it to work..

1. Open up the .sln.
2. remove the SIP provided. (This is the French back link and you shouldn;t need it and it does require a API to run and may or may not give you some problems!!)
3. Remove the link to the DotNetNuke libary, now this will leave you with no DNN reference. (Obviously you need this!!)
4. Change all the DNN refs to look at the DotNetNUke.dll in your <websiteroot>/bin folder.

After this you should be able to get it to compile..

Let me know if I've missed anything..

Regards,
Dave.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Hi have installed a new Dotnetnuke Project:

1) Download the source file launched the.sln file
2) remove the SIP provided.
3) Remove the link to the DotNetNuke libary
4) Add the reference to my DotNetNUke.dll (<websiteroot>/bin )

How I can to insert the module in my DotnetNuke web site? I need befor to install the module?
How can I see the module in my top control panel?

Thanks
rmartin
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Normally you should be able to install the source package as a normal module, after which you can extract the source from the zip included in the package.  This will then give you the module in the DNN module list.

If you already have the code in your installation, but not the module installed you can install you can install the modules by using the NB_Store.dnn xml configuration file and import it  from Host>Module>Import Module Definition.

Regards,
Dave.
Jul 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM

We're using NB_Store in our DNN application, and want to make some small changes to the source code (e.g. calculation of shipping rates).  For this, I'll need to modify the VB source code.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to work with the source code in Visual Web Developer.  I'm new to DNN, but have some experience developing asp.net applications.

I've installed NB_store into my DNN application from the source zip.  None of the VB files were extracted into the DNN directory after the install - is there a special way to extract those files - in the two zip files "NB_Store_Backoffice_Source" and "NB_Store_Resource"?  Or should I just copy and paste all of those files into the "../DesktopModules/NB_Store folder?  Do some of the VB files belong in the App_Data folder?

I tried the steps described above:

1. Open up the .sln.
2. remove the SIP provided. (This is the French back link and you shouldn;t need it and it does require a API to run and may or may not give you some problems!!)
3. Remove the link to the DotNetNuke libary, now this will leave you with no DNN reference. (Obviously you need this!!)
4. Change all the DNN refs to look at the DotNetNUke.dll in your <websiteroot>/bin folder.

But I have to admit I'm not sure I understand them!  I think I've missed some preliminary steps - e.g. copying the VB source files.  When I opened up the .sln file, got errors and no projects found (including local host).

This may be beyond the scope of this discussion board - but can you perhaps point me someplace to give me some background on the installation zip versus source zip and how to integrate the source code into my local DNN application?  I've been looking all over the internet for info on this, but maybe I'm not using the right search terms!  I've found a lot of info on creating the deployable assembly, but nothing on re-constituing the source...

Thanks for any help!!

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM

HI,

Looks like you need to extract the "NB_Store_Backoffice_Source.zip" into the /Desktopmodules/NB_Store directory, you'll get the .sln file then.

By the way, what changes do you need to do to the shipping?  The shipping options are a bit complex but cover a hell of a lot of options (especially the improved ones in v1.1.7).

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Thanks, everything fine now - I had thought that some of the VB files belonged in the App_Code folder...but extracted everything into NB_Store directory, and all is well.

Our customer has a shipping amount based on purchase amount, but also a min and max - so it's, say, 10% of total purchased with a min of $5.00 and a max of $10.00.  I will definitely check out all the current shipping options before making any changes, however!

Thanks again for your help -

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM

If sounds like you simply need to implement the shiping by price ranges.

E.g.

0-50 = $5

51-60 = $6

61-70 = $7

....and so on....

91-999999 = $10

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

That could work...I'll make sure I check out all options before any customizations...I do know that our customer feels she needs to do quite a bit of tinkering with her shipping costs to make sure (1) they're not so high that she loses the sale and (2) shipping isn't costing her too much money!

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I made a few changes to the latest source (v2.0.2 beta 7) for a project I'm working on. I uploaded as a "patch" if you find it useful. The zip includes the two .VB files I made changes to (search for 'NEW: ) and a compiled dll (compiled against DNN 5.1.4). This is first time I've submitted changes so let me know if there is different protocol.

There was a fix and 2 enhancements to the CSV import functionality--described in readme-patch-20091014.txt in zip file.

Also, the version of the source I used 2.0.2 beta7 was missing AdminPromo.ascx and associated code behind files. I just excluded from project and was able to build. I also had trouble with the providers with missing files, but was able to build once I removed from project.

Thanks,
Zolt

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Hi Zolt ,

Great!!..I'm currently going through fixes to produce a beta8, I'll review your changes and include what I can. 

Thanks very much...

Dave.

(P.S. I can't believe I forgot to include the AdminPromo.ascx...I've fix that now.  As for the payment provider I'm unable to redistribute the reference files, so removing it from the project is the right thing to do!)