importing/exporting xml store data

May 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Hi,

Has anyone successfully imported large amounts of product/category data into the store? If so what tools did you use to build your xml data?

I have tried using excel from an exported xml file and failed miserably as the datalist presented in excel seems quite complex.

I need to imprt around 3000 products/models etc and doing it one by one will take an eternity.

TIA

Dave

Coordinator
May 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Edited May 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Hi Dave,

When I first moved my e-commerce websites to NB_Store from the prototype I created using DNN Store, I created a bespoke VB.Net application to create the XML in the correct format.  If you interested I could send you the code.  By keep in mind the application was written for a specific need and not designed to be maintanable, so it won't do exactly what you want to do straight out of the box, but if you've got the programming skills it could help you!

Another option (I assume you can get an xml format out of the Excel document)  is to use xsl to convert it into the correct xml format for import.  The import format is the same as the export one so to get an example enter a product into NB_Store and then export it, it should give you the format you need.

One other thing, if your moving 3000 products into NB_Store you may need to change the timeout in the web.cong (Have a look at the docs under import/.export).  I've imported around 1500 product with loads of options and models and it took about 30-40 mins.

Regards,

Dave.

May 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply and I would like to take a look at the VB.NET app if possible. I have created my categories and one or two products in each category and I have succesfully exported the data to xml.

When i open it up in excel it isn't easy to understand it and there seems to be some duplication of data, also when i try to export it back to xml excel won't let me becuase it says it's not in the correct xml format ;o( How exactly can i use xsl to put it into the correct format?

Thanks again

Dave

Coordinator
May 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Hi,

Yes I would expect Exce notl to like the NB_Store export xml, it was never designed to be used in excel.

What format have you got your data for import in?

Send me an email to dcl@nevoweb.com and I'll reply and attach the vb.net app I created.

Regards,

Dave