Display shipping cost at product detail

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:41 AM

I've looked but do not see a token that would allow me to show the shipping cost on the product detail page. The shipping costs for for my items is important to my buyers and I don't want to have to make them add to cart just to view it. Is there a token or some code I can add to the template?

Thanks,

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Adding a shipping cost to each product in most cases is impossible, because in most case if someone adds 2 items to the basket, the shipping doesn't change, however in some cases if they add 3 the shipping does change.  Therefore it's usually impossible for me to display shipping without going to the cart and calcuating it.

However I prsumme in your case you've got a special product or delivery system.  In version 1.1.7 which should be released as beta next week I have included custom fields for products, so you could use this feature to display special information about shipping cost.

I'll put a post on DNN annocements forum when I release the beta.

Regards,

Dave.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong DNN announcement place but I've not seen an update. Any progress? Please link to it.

Thanks,

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM

The 1.1.7 beta has been released, you need to click on the download tab in codeplex and look on the right hand side of the screen you'll see all the possible downloads.

Regards,

Dave

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Hey Dave,

As you know from some of my other posts I have install the store. I don't seem to be able to figure out how to leverage your special fields. Are you referring to the productxmldata.template? If so, can you give some instructions on how to use it? What I need to do to display to the customer what the shipping cost will be from the product detail page. I know I can set the shipping cost by product in Admin but how can I pull it into the detail page. I hate to have to hard code it. Is there a token or some other way? I have been playing with the product options fields and can make it work but it is not ideal.

Richard

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Hi Richard,

The "productxmldata.template" is the way to add custom fields, not sure if this is going to be the perfect solution for you in this case, but in the documentation.html is the basic idea:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NB_Store allows your to define your own additional products fields. This is done by creating a template called "productxmldata.template" and specifying your required fields.

Example:

Step 1: Create a "productxmldata.template".
In the Utilities>templates Menu create a new template called "productxmldata.template" and enter the example code below

TextBox : [<tag id="txtTextBox" type="textbox" width="60" cssclass="normal" maxlength="20" />]
DropDown : [<tag id="dlDropDown" type="dropdownlist" cssclass="normal" data="list1;list2;list3;list4;list5" />]
Checkbox : [<tag id="chkCheckbox" type="checkbox" cssclass="normal" text="Checkbox" />]
Radio : [<tag id="radRadio" type="radiobuttonlist" cssclass="normal" data="list1;list2;list3;list4;list5" RepeatColumns="5" />]

Step 2: Create Display Template Tokens in your product list or product detail template.

[TAG:XMLDATA:genxml/textbox/txttextbox]
[TAG:XMLDATA:genxml/checkbox/chkcheckbox]
[TAG:XMLDATA:genxml/dropdownlist/dldropdown]
[TAG:XMLDATA:genxml/radiobuttonlist/radradio]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Dave.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Dave,

I follow your example okay but get lost at this point: Can I populate the textbox (very example) with the shipping cost that I entered in the Backoffice? Do I have to add a string of some sort or is there a token I can insert in the product page (part 2 of your example)? Or is this more of a "static" content solution so the same info is displayed on every page? I'm think it is the later but hoping not. :)

Richard

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Hi richard,

The custom fields, work by creating a field on the product edit page (say a dropdownlist "$10 shipping;$20 shipping;$30 shipping;$40 shipping") this is then selectable (say "$30 shipping") by the manager when editing the product.

Step two is to display the selected field when the product is listed or the details are looked at ("$30 shipping" in this case, but could be a different value for each product).  The way to do this would be to add [TAG:XMLDATA:genxml/dropdownlist/dldropdown] to the productlist or productdetail template being used.

This is not be a perfect solution for what your trying to do, but it the best suggestion I have at the moment.

Also just to clear up in my mind what your trying to do, is it that you've entered a value per product for shipping in the back offcie and wish to display this?

Regards,

Dave

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Dave,

Yes, I want to display the shipping amount on the product detail page. It is an important piece of information to our buyers. I understand, thanks to your additional info, I can put that info into a text field but this means I'd have to manage that info in two places, the shipping area and the product detail area. Is there a way to pull the shipping cost into the xml data field? I tried adding the shipping token and it just display the tag not the value. I expected that but tried just to be sure of it.

Richard

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Hi,

I think it will be a nice idea to have product tokens in the templates, I'm going to look into this, but I don;t know what release it will be on.

Regards,

Dave.