Selling Digital Combo Products

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Hi Dave

This is an interesting problem with digital products. I have a client who distributes CD and MP3.

They want to give the buyer an option to buy either a CD an MP3 (Downloadable) or Both(shipped & downloadable) - it's all the same product.

Example

Item: Soundtrack - 60 minutes
Model CD:  $29.00
           MP3: $15.00
           Both: $36.00

Currently NB_Store links Documents to the Product Only which prevents offering the above combination via Models because a purchase of the CD with allow the download.

Do you have any Idea how it could be done? Maybe linked products?

I checked the DB table for documents and it could be linked to a model by adding a modelid field (if modelID is NULL, document belongs to Product, else document belongs to model)

The order table has the modelID, therefore the download could be authorised by Product or by Product & Model

Thanks in advance

Peter

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Hi Peter,

The only way I think it will work in the store at the moment is to create 3 products.  The idea of adding the modelid to the document table sounds like a good one.  I can remember wanting to link downloads to models, but I think the time I had to do download feature stopped me.

If you do find the time to get it working I would be happy to incorporate your changes into a future version of NB_Store.

Regards,

Dave.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Also as an after thought, the usual way I use in NB_Store of saying an id field it to be ignored is to set it to "-1".  I find it less confusing, because I have to set the value so I know then it is to be ignored and not just empty.

.....if that makes sense?

Regards,

Dave.