shipping costs defaults to -1.00

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I have no shipping costs defined but still it defaults to -1,00.

If I have negative shipping costs (poor man's discount solution) it also defaults to -1,00

If it falls outside my shipping cost range, it also defaults to -1,00

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Hi Peter,

The shipping uses a -1 to identify that shipping can't be calculated for the shipping method.

In you case you have not shipping setup therefore it can't be calculated.  What you need to do  is go into BackOffcie>Shipping>Free Limt  and set this to "0".   This way a calculation is done and a zero shipping will be returned.

In the case where it falls outside you shipping range costs, in the checkout module settings you need to set "Show Shipping Methods:" to true then the message "specialshipping.text" template is displayed when no shipping can be calculated. Unfortunatly you will get a radio button for standard shipping.  (Usually I never have a situation where shipping can't be calculated, unless I do have alternative shipping methods.)

Sorry this should be better documented....but I can't seem to find the time!

Regards,

Dave

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Hi
Referring to your post above (I know it was a long time ago) when the shipping calculation falls outside, for example, the weight calculation and a zero shipping rate is returned, is it still the case that the standard shipping radio button is still meant to display? Trying it now in version 2.3.4 this seems to be the case.
I don't want this standard shipping radio button to display but instead the special shipping statement because for heavier orders then my client needs to contacted. Displaying the standard shipping radio button with a shipping cost of £0.00 looks like its free shipping, but in this case it's quite the opposite.
Is there a workaround for this?
Thanks
Terry
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Hi Terry,

To be honest, it's so long ago, since I did any work on that shipping calc, I can;t rememebr if there is an option/setup in NB_Store to do this, maybe there is some configuration that would work! Robax might remember some way of doing this.

But one way would be to add some JQuery to the page which hides the radio button when the amount is zero.

Dave.
Editor
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Hi,
can you not just change the text in the standardshipping template to explain to the buyer about the shipping?

For example:

"Your product might need special shipping, if so we will contact you and there might be extra costs might be applied"

Geoff
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Yes, I tried changing the text but the trouble is that the standard shipping template is still visible when shipping is viable which looks odd.
It sounds like the the JScript might be the only way to go. Ideally it just needs the standard shipping template hiding as well when the allowzeroshipping is set to false.

Thanks
Terry
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
If everything works, and the specialshipping.text is displayed, and all you need to do is hide something on the page, then you might be able to add a style tag to that template with some css to hide the other shipping method at that point. That's usually the kind of workaround I try and do.
Rob