"Better" Doc Available??

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I'm looking at the NB_Store module - all I can say is "wow, what power".

However, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the tasks needed to actually set up and use the module.  There are so many choices that I'm semi-clueless on what to do.  Has anyone prepared some doc on "this is how you set up a store"??

In case someone want's to reply with a basic step by step, here's what I need to accomplish:

1) location: US, pricing in US dollars

2) product: sheet music (original) delivered by digital download

3) product image: none

4) payment method: PayPal

5) if possible, a link to a preview MP3 (or other media file) from the list of products

I think this is pretty simple and no doubt easy once you "grasp" NB_Store... I just get overwhelmed reading the supplied doc and looking at the options, templates, etc.

TIA for any assistance anyone can provide!

Steve

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I've only got a  moment for a quick reply right now, but if you're familiar with templating DNN skins, and modules such as Ventrian's ones, that use tokens, then you'll be up and running somewhat quicker. If not, then you'll need to familiarise yourself with HTML and tokens to get the best out of this.

The documentation.html in the zip of the module you have installed is always right up to date and is a gold mine of accurate information about the module... but more so once you know what you're looking for.

Note that not all templates and settings pages are created when you install the module. You can create them in teh Settings and Templates sections by simply typing their names from the docs and saving them. You can create duplicates of existing templates and modify them as you wish.

I suggest getting the basic cart up and running first just with sampel categories and a couple of normal products. Then examine the docs for the additional fields and options you want, because you might need to add tokens to the product templates for the downloads, models, or other options. When you're sure you have some tokens in place that you need, add products with your mp3's and downloads.

Note that you can run the store without any details view at all... just using a list view template. You might find that suits your needs, but you'll need to ensure that all the required tokens are working in list view.

Payal is straigthforward... I suggest using it in live mode from the start rather than in sandbox as you'll find it much easier.

No step by step here, but hopefully something to get you going :)

Rob

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Thanks Rob, that helps.  I only started with DNN about 2 months ago, but I get the drift of what you're saying and it DOES help ;-)

Again, "thanks!"

Steve