The shipping 'matrix'

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Hi guys,

Still loving the product. :-) Just need a little bit of help configuring shipping.

The scenario I've got is: a pet store wanting to sell some products online, within our country only (New Zealand), how ever, New Zealand (you may know) consists of two major islands and shipping cost depends on whether the item is being shipped within the same island or to the other island. In our case; an item of 5kg will cost $10 to be couriered within the South Island (the one we're on) but will cost $20 to courier to the North Island. Add to this that the courier has rates for local, outer area, shorthaul, longhaul, and inter island. Double add to that the fact that if the item is greater than  0.025m<sup>3</sup> it becomes 'general freight' that has a different cost structure and it all just starts doing my head in.

I'm sure some-one's struck a similar situation before so any ideas on how I configure the shipping to accomodate this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

MartyNZ

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Hi Marty,

I find the general rule on shipping setup is that it's a nightmare!!!!....and very prone to change,based on the wims of the client and courier.

The first thing I try to do with a client is workout a simply shipping rate which means they won't loose money. (i.e. to one island unto 5kg it will be $10 to the other it'll be $20..)

If you can't do this then....ideas for setup would be:

1. Create a store.country in the DNN country list with the different island/areas.  Then use this as the contry list.

2. you can then set a weight to each product or a default weight.

3. Setup different methods for the shipping (e.g. shorthaul, longhaul)..(I'll assume the local,outer area and inter island will be setup on the country list)

4. Setup a shipping rate based on weight range for each method and country.list item.

The only way I can think of dealing with the special size (0.025m) is to have an additional product shipping amount (which adds onto the shipping total) on those products effected.

I usually find this best way to work this out is to make a table of all the shipping options and then try and match it as close as possible in NB_Store shippping.  Keeping in mind it's the end shipping price that's important, not the way or where it's being shipping.

Sorry I can;t be more help, I think you've got quite a bit of work to do to get the best results.  On the bright side once you've done it once...you've got it for the next project!

Regards,

Dave.

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Hi Marty

Just wanted to restate Dave's first point. Have a talk with the client and come up with a much more simplified range of shipping fees and methods than they would otherwise use in a retail store. You can never cover every situation, but you can usually come up with something that is easy to understand and doesn't leave the shop out of pocket.

I last did a flower shop (with a dfferent cart) and simply added some fixed methods, each with one price for a given weight - Local, North island, South Island, and Interflora for international. If people ordered more than a couple of bouquets, the weight values would bump it up to double the fees. Note that weights dont' have to be accurate weight values in Kg.. they can simply be units as in 1, 2, 3 or more - i.e. one bouquet has a weight of 1 unit.

It's also important for customers to be able to see these fees visibly somewhere ahead of the checkout.

Rob

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Hi Dave,

Please excuse my ignorance, but re: 1. Below, once I’ve created a country list in DNN how/where do I set this as the list to use for shipping?

Cheers

Martyn

Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2009 7:20 p.m.
To: Martyn Cook
Subject: Re: The shipping 'matrix' [NBStore:69785]

Hi Marty,

I find the general rule on shipping setup is that it's a nightmare!!!!....and very prone to change,based on the wims of the client and courier.

The first thing I try to do with a client is workout a simply shipping rate which means they won't loose money. (i.e. to one island unto 5kg it will be $10 to the other it'll be $20..)

If you can't do this then....ideas for setup would be:

1. Create a store.country in the DNN country list with the different island/areas. Then use this as the contry list.

2. you can then set a weight to each product or a default weight.

3. Setup different methods for the shipping (e.g. shorthaul, longhaul)..(I'll assume the local,outer area and inter island will be setup on the country list)

4. Setup a shipping rate based on weight range for each method and country.list item.

The only way I can think of dealing with the special size (0.025m) is to have an additional product shipping amount (which adds onto the shipping total) on those products effected.

I usually find this best way to work this out is to make a table of all the shipping options and then try and match it as close as possible in NB_Store shippping. Keeping in mind it's the end shipping price that's important, not the way or where it's being shipping.

Sorry I can;t be more help, I think you've got quite a bit of work to do to get the best results. On the bright side once you've done it once...you've got it for the next project!

Regards,

Dave.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4448 (20090922) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4451 (20090923) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4498 (20091011) __________

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM

Hi Martyn,

Check the documentation.html in the PA and search for the country.list setting. You can add a list of comma-separated countries in there.

Rob

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:22 AM

hi Guy's

Finally got back to this and got it set up (I thought) as described above, however. The cart does not update shipping costs with additional cost for different 'country'

I have a product that has a weight entered as 1.5 kg. and the default shipping cost for 0kg up to 25kg is $4.95

ie. I have set up four shipping 'zones':

Christchurch (aka local) with a shipping cost by 'country' of $0.00 up to 25kg, and $4.95 for over 25 kg,

Canterbury with a shipping cost by 'country' of $1.00 up to 15kg, and $9.90 over 15kg etc.

If I select Canterbury as the 'Country' I should be getting default cost by weight ($4.95) + country cost for 0 to 15kg ($1.00) for a total shipping cost of $5.95, but it's staying at $4.95.

Where am I going wrong?

(BTW, is it possible to change the label of the 'country' dropdown in the cart as this makes no sense and is confusing to would be customers. I would like to rename it 'Devliery Zone' or similar)

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Hi Marty,

I'm unsure about the shipping issues, so you might have to wait for Dave, but there have been some shipping bug fixes in the last 2 or 3 beta releases and something there may be affecting you - don't take my word for it though :)

In the meantime, you will likely find that label inside App_LocalResources/CheckOut.ascx.resx  - so long as you know how to use the language editor or how to make changes directly.

Here's a post I did on the subject a while back:
http://www.snapsis.com/DotNetNuke/Support/tabid/560/aff/12/aft/7893/afv/topic/Tip--Change-DNN-system-text-labels.aspx

Regards
Rob

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Hi Marty,

have a read of theis thread

http://nbstore.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=72408

it should explain the shipping issue in the cart.

Regards.

Dave.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Sorry Dave, but this explains nothing. I’m not using the minicart, and I’ve deleted all cookies etc. And tried again, no change to the issue. Are you telling me that this function doesn’t work?

Martyn

Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2009 2:25 a.m.

Hi Marty,

have a read of theis thread

http://nbstore.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=72408

it should explain the shipping issue in the cart.

Regards.

Dave.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NBStore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4545 (20091026) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4545 (20091026) __________

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Hi Marty,

Sorry, I was in a rush last night and gave you the answer to somebody elses question.

I think your issue is a due to a situation I came across last week.  When you change the country list to a regional one the way the calcuation works is by using a prefix to the description to pickup what shipping needs to be added.

i.e.    "FR - France"  - Key="FR"

I think what you need to do to solve this is have a prefix on your region "01 - " e.g "01 - Christchurch", "02 - Canterbury"

This is because of this bit of code in the ShippingController,

If objInfo.Description.StartsWith(Country & " - ") Then
If ((CDec(objInfo.Range1) <= CartWeight) And (CDec(objInfo.Range2) >= CartWeight)) Or (CDec(objInfo.Range1) = 0 And CDec(objInfo.Range2) = 0) Then
If IsNumeric(objInfo.ShipCost) Then
rtnCost = CDec(objInfo.ShipCost)
Exit For
End If
End If
End If

Obviously this is not ideal and needs looking into more deeply to find out exactly what's happening and how it can be fixed.

(In France the Region prefix is important to have, so I didn't worry to much about it!)

Regards,
Dave.
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Hi Martyn,

I've just looked into what I did for my situation and it doesn't quite match what I've told you..it is important to have the prefix ("01 - "), but only in the shippingrates table. 

When you create your shipping cost it should take the list Key and prefix it to the list description. e.g   Key - Description = "01 - AINS", so there should be no need to put it into your region description.

Therefore the first question should be, what Keys have you used in your DNN list?

Regards,

Dave.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Right, I am now officially confused. Mainly because nowhere in any of the lsits I’m working with are there ‘key’ or ‘description’!! the DNN StoreCountry.en-NZ has ‘Text’ & ‘Value’ fields and the NB_Store country.list has a ‘setting value’ text box. What is supposed to match with what?

I’m trying to set four shipping zones

Christchurch

Canterbury

South Island

North Island

Please explain the steps required to make this work (using the terminologies above).

Cheers

Martyn

Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2009 9:03 p.m.

Hi Martyn,

I've just looked into what I did for my situation and it doesn't quite match what I've told you..it is important to have the prefix ("01 - "), but only in the shippingrates table.

When you create your shipping cost it should take the list Key and prefix it to the list description. e.g Key - Description = "01 - AINS", so there should be no need to put it into your region description.

Therefore the first question should be, what Keys have you used in your DNN list?

Regards,

Dave.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Hi Martyn,

Sorry, I'm mixing terminlogies,  OK  this is what I think you need.

In your DNN list:

Text           Value

Christchurch      01
Canterbury         02
South Island     03
North Island    04

In your country.list setting,

Christchurch,Canterbury,South Island,North Island

Then when you add a shipping cost for the region it should get a description of "01 - Christchurch", which should work in the shipping calculation.

If you still having problems email me you shipping export file and I'l have a look at that.

Regards,

Dave.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Thanks Dave,

Got it now.

Cheers

Martyn

Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2009 10:18 p.m.

Hi Martyn,

Sorry, I'm mixing terminlogies, OK this is what I think you need.

In your DNN list:

Text Value

Christchurch 01
Canterbury 02
South Island 03
North Island 04

Then when you add a shipping cost for the region it should get a description of "01 - Christchurch", which should work in the shipping calculation.

If you still having problems email me you shipping export file and I'l have a look at that.

Regards,

Dave.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4549 (20091027) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4549 (20091027) __________

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Hi again Dave,

Now that I’ve got the hang of the shipping (and the latest stable version J) I’m getting more adventurous.

So a new question.

I’m now creating a second cart for my own online store, (donation pending completion of project J) and have a situation where product can be shipped from one of three centre’s (don’t worry, I’ve got that side of it figured out).

My question is, now that my ‘shipping zones’ consist of each region (province) in New Zealand I have no need for the ‘region’ field in the cart. As highlighted.

Is there a way to hide the ‘Region’ label and field in this form?

And also. I’m using paypal at the moment, but would like to use paymate (www.paymate.co.nz) in the future. Do you have something like an SDK that provides the information I need to create a solution to integrate this payment gateway?

Cheers

MartyNZ

Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2009 10:18 p.m.

Hi Martyn,

Sorry, I'm mixing terminlogies, OK this is what I think you need.

In your DNN list:

Text Value

Christchurch 01
Canterbury 02
South Island 03
North Island 04

Regards,

Dave.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4551 (20091028) __________

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Dave, here's the page of integration info to save you digging: http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/website-integration

Marty, what's the benefit of this particular gateway - I haven't seen it before.

On the region field... At this stage the easiest way to hide that on a particular site, without messing with the address collector code, is to find the ID of the table row that it resides in, and then hide that.

If you look at the source of the page as rendered by the browser (easiest done using Firebug's Inspect Element function), you'll find an Id looking something like this:

dnn_ctr4296_CheckOut_billaddress_rowRegion

The only difference will be that it has a different number. You could also just search the page source for "rowRegion" and that'll find it.

Then you can simply add the following to your portal.css to hide it:

#dnn_ctr4296_CheckOut_billaddress_rowRegion{display:none}

Rob

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Rob, for the info.

Re: paymate. The main benefit is that it’s local and that they pay directly into your bank account instead of having to do manual transfers as with paypal.

Cheers

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 12:53 a.m.

Dave, here's the page of integration info to save you digging: http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/website-integration

Marty, what's the benefit of this particular gateway - I haven't seen it before.

On the region field... At this stage the easiest way to hide that on a particular site, without messing with the address collector code, is to find the ID of the table row that it resides in, and then hide that.

If you look at the source of the page as rendered by the browser (easiest done using Firebug's Inspect Element function), you'll find an Id looking something like this:

dnn_ctr4296_CheckOut_billaddress_rowRegion

The only difference will be that it has a different number. You could also just search the page source for "rowRegion" and that'll find it.

Then you can simply add the following to your portal.css to hide it:

#dnn_ctr4296_CheckOut_billaddress_rowRegion{display:none}

Rob

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4551 (20091028) __________

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM

ok Yep I see,

Note that we do have a freshly-sponsored DPS PXPay gateway for the store. This is the most common one around NZ and it also pays directly into the seller's bank account.

Their site is here http://www.paymentexpress.com/index.html

One thing is that the requirements for signing up are quite stringent. Shops need to get a merchant account with the bank and the whole thing has to go through the PCI scan as well. I've had two sites (one NB store) go through the procedures and it all went fine. But the main point is that it's a well known provider here and the gateway is already built for NB Store, saving a lot of time and money.

The PXPay people are very good to deal with.. a chap named Ari calls you up after you apply for the developer key and he also takes the client through all necessary steps.

Worth a look anyhow

ROb

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Thanks again Rob,

I had glossed over the PxPay option without realising it was DPS. Of course this is the obvious option, they are probably the most easily recognised gateway in NZ. I’m signing up as we speak.

Cheers

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 1:30 a.m.

ok Yep I see,

Note that we do have a freshly-sponsored DPS PXPay gateway for the store. This is the most common one around NZ and it also pays directly into the seller's bank account.

One thing is that the requirements for signing up are quite stringent. Shops need to get a merchant account with the bank and the whole thing has to go through the PCI scan as well. I've had two sites (one NB store) go through the procedures and it all went fine. But the main point is that it's a well known provider here and the gateway is already built for NB Store, saving a lot of time and money.

The PXPay people are very good to deal with.. a chap named Ari calls you up after you apply for the developer key and he also takes the client through all necessary steps.

Worth a look anyhow

ROb

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4552 (20091028) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4553 (20091028) __________

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Ok Rob,

I’ve spoken to Ari and got a development account setup. So what do I have to do to start testing this?

Cheers

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 1:30 a.m.

ok Yep I see,

Note that we do have a freshly-sponsored DPS PXPay gateway for the store. This is the most common one around NZ and it also pays directly into the seller's bank account.

One thing is that the requirements for signing up are quite stringent. Shops need to get a merchant account with the bank and the whole thing has to go through the PCI scan as well. I've had two sites (one NB store) go through the procedures and it all went fine. But the main point is that it's a well known provider here and the gateway is already built for NB Store, saving a lot of time and money.

Worth a look anyhow

ROb

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4552 (20091028) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4553 (20091028) __________

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:57 AM
Edited Oct 29, 2009 at 3:57 AM

I'm guessing I should start with getting the compiled code... I've just checked and there's no "NEvoweb.DNN.Modules.NB_Store.GatewayPxPay.dll" in my site, and no PxPay.jpg either. I have found the xml file you added to this site so that's all ready to go.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:45 AM

I'll just check the PXPay gateway zip that is here on codeplex... Yep, that looks complete to me.

Have you downloaded and installed this - http://nbstore.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=28920

There's a text file inside with a sample gateway setting. It's pretty straightforward, much like the Paypal one.

Rob

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:39 AM

A critical error has occurred.
'EndElement' is an invalid XmlNodeType. Line 11, position 7.

???

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 4:46 p.m.

I'll just check the PXPay gateway zip that is here on codeplex... Yep, that looks complete to me.

Have you downloaded and installed this - http://nbstore.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=28920

There's a text file inside with a sample gateway setting. It's pretty straightforward, much like the Paypal one.

Rob

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Doesn’t matter, I’ve done it the old fashioned way.

Testing now

Cheers

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 5:40 p.m.

A critical error has occurred.
'EndElement' is an invalid XmlNodeType. Line 11, position 7.

???

MartyNZ

Sent: Thursday, 29 October 2009 4:46 p.m.

Rob

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Hi Martyn,

Yes, I've found that the manifesto of the payment providers is not compatible with DNN5.  I need to find the time to create a DNN5 version.

Dave.