SEO and Friendly URLs suggestions

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Feature Request: Friendly URLs for SEO

IMHO the single most important feature after a basic working product catalog and cart is Search Engine Optimization. Friendly URLs help a lot with SEO and make the website look a little more professional.

Some ideas: nopCommerce solves the query parameter problem by prefixing category and products with the id number such as: 

domain.com/Products/82-blackberry-bold-9000-phone-black-att.aspx
and
domain.com/Category/29-books.aspx 

Based on SEO principals it could be improved: 

1) add categories into URL (this adds more keywords into URL and helps ranking)

2) put id number at end of product name (blackberry is a more important keyword than 82 and looks better)

3) don't use /Products and /Category (those aren't important keywords); a page could be identified as category or product with a letter (such as p and c) before id number

4) saving capitalization also makes urls cleaner

domain.com/Electronics/Mobile-Phones/Blackberry-Bold-9000-Black-ATT-p82.aspx

The trick is doing this within the DNN framework. Assuming NB Product List module were on tabid=63 this url would work with DNN "out-of-the-box" if Friendly URLs is enabled for portal. NB store would have to parse url to get product id (82) from page name. Other parameters (RtnTab, PageIndex, CatID) could be added on to querystring, although it'd be better if those were stored in a session variable.

domain.com/Electronics/Mobile-Phones/tabid/63/Blackberry-Bold-9000-Black-ATT-p82.aspx

Also: I wouldn't mind installing an Ifinity Url module (some are free) to help get friendly urls if that were a workaround for short-term.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Hi,

I agree it would be great to get the url into SEO.  Currently NB_Store does reference very well with the links and product name in the title.  However I do believe there is always room for improvement, the first like you say is to improve the URL.

Thanks for your ideas, I'll copy this to a work item and hopfully find the time to learn about URL's in DNN, at the moment I've no time spare to look at this so it could be a long wait....unless we find a DNN URL expert to help with the project.

Regards,

Dave.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.