How to enable Product Catalog Search?

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Using NB Search does not return any product results when I search for a word that I know is in product attributes.

Is there a setting or extra step to enable search for the product catalog?

No product attributes at all get inserted into DNN's searchWord table when I do Host > Search Admin > Re-index Content. (Search is working for other modules--Text/HTML for instance.)  

I am using NB Store v 1.2.1 on DNN 4.9.5 (dnn database objects have no objectQualifier)
also NB Store 2.0.2 beta on DNN 5.1.4 (dnn database objects have "dnn_" objectQualifier)

Any help would be appreciated. Search is kinda a big deal.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Hi,

There is a "Index module" checkbox on the productlist module settings, you need to make sure you've checked that.

Regards,

Dave.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM

On this subject, i have 4 instances of the Productist module (3 on a hidden page (showing featured only products) and 1 on my main 'shop' page for all users to browse. Why? Because i bring in the other 3 into the Digrote tabs menu for users to tab through featured products), but only 1 with indexing checked, and the search results find 4 versions of each product! Any ideas why?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I'm surprise, the situation you've explained is common and exactly what the "Index module" settting is for.  The only thing I can think to suggest is to clear down your DNN search index and then reindex.

Let me know if this works, if not we'll have to look a bit deeper into the problem, but for an example look at http://www.menagecadeaux.fr/, this website has a featured productlist on the home page and then a normal catalog on the shop page, searching doesn't product any duplicates!

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Haha! Got to laugh! Now im only getting 2 matches per product rather than 4! Technology hey! anyway, at least it looks like its not necessarily the module.

For those with the same problem, i followed these instructions for re-indexing DNN:

http://www.derektrauger.com/KnowledgeBlog/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/13/Re-Indexing_the_DotNetNuke_Site_Search.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: No, seems to have worked! No duplicates now showing

Thanks Leedavi!

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for info on module setting.

I also noticed the same problem with duplicate products (but only when using NB Search--DNN search box just returns a single link to each product). I get problems on DNN 5.1.4 even if I only have 1 product list on the portal. Clearing the DNN search tables and re-indexing doesn't help.  I also noticed a new problem that if I edit product attributes and reindex the new text doesn't show up in index (might be caching issue?).

I haven't been able to duplicate any of those errors on DNN 4.9.5.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Interesting, I've not done any testing with the search index on DNN5 yet!

Thanks for the headsup on this I'll look into it.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.