Split a Store?

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Hello,

I have a client who has a catering and rental business.  So I have two complete lists of products. 
What I would like to do is to split the catalog into two sections.  I know I could create two high level categories such as Catering Items and Rental Items and then organize everything.

I would then like two DNN pages, one for rental and one for catering.  On each page I would like to place NB_category list.  Is there a way I can set the category list with a base category starting point instead of simply the root?

Aside from that, David, I really am happy with your project!  I was struggling with the DNN core store module for two weeks and was ready to give up until I found NB_store.
I will for sure be making a donation to the project next week as should anyone who is using NB_Store for their own client projects.  Share the wealth and keep the developments progressing. 
I actually have two brand new clients that also want catalog and shopping cart capabilities, so once again I will use NB_store.

Feature Request - In my particular situation with my current client, some product items have no prices so my client wants customers to call for updated pricing.  Could we create a simple option for Product Items such as "CallForPricing"?  When this option is set, I envision in the product list or product details, we could display a telephone icon or similar idea.

Thanks,
Jason

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Hi Jason,

Great that you like NB_Store, for the category menu there is no option to start at a specific category level, but you could try hide the root menu and should only the sub menus.  It might not be exactly what your looking for but it may be a usable way around the problem.

With the pricing, there is already an option to replace zero  price with some text, have a look at the documentation.html that is installed with NB_Store.  There is a setting called "zeroprice.text", this may do what you  need.

Regards,

Dave.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Create a feature request for category menu start at subcategory level, please vote for it at http://nbstore.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5246

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Is it possible to have more catalogs in one DNN instance? Or is it possible to hack jQuery TreeView to hide averything but a selected Root/subnode?

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM
ThomasVdB wrote:

Create a feature request for category menu start at subcategory level, please vote for it at http://nbstore.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5246

I am for sure going to add a feature request.  This would allow us to effectivly split up different departments within a store easily with root super nodes.  The only modification needs to be done to the CategoryList module to create a root node setting. The Module would the only enumerate child categories if they exist.

The zeroprice.text took care of my other problem with no prices on items. 

A possible similar issue:
In my product list, I have the images removed since the customer only supplied a few product images.  However, I would like to display the images in the product details if one exists. 
What is the best way of accomplishing this without having the big X in the middle of my screen for products without images?  I'm sure I should research before asking...

Thanks,
-Jason

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Maybe another feature request.  Could there be a check on the image url to be sure it is a valid string or not empty.  I would like a store option to set a default "Image Not Available" setting. 
This way products with good url string would attempt to render, otherwise the default "Image Not Available" should render.

-Jason