How to set a sale price on one specific product

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Hi ... I'm new to NB Store.  Just installed it on our test site yesterday.  We are a part of the family of abandoned children left behind by aspdotnetstorefront and we're looking for a viable solution.  I know this product won't offer all that, that one did but if we can get the basics up and going I think we'll be good. 

So I'm trying to figure out how to put just one specific product on sale ... or basically set a sale price per product.  Is this possible?  If so how would we go about this?  All I'm seeing presently is the ability to add a discount per category or per cart ...

Also is there any functionality available in this package for setting up product cross-sells?

- webgirl

www.amazingfacts.org

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi webgirl,

Specials work on a specific percentage or Dollar discount of the price. The discount amount is created as an item in the back office, and you can create any number of them. So you might create one that is $10 off and one that is 10% off and one that is 20% off etc. Each discount has a category associated with it and everything in the category gets the discount.

When you create a category, there is a check box for making it a special hidden category. The idea is you would create a category for something like 10% Discount, set it as a special hidden one and associate it with the 10% discount option. Then it's a simple matter to assign that category to any product that is to have 10% off... even just a single product.

What the store does not do is create a temporary second price for use as a discount for a single product. If there are no patterns to your discounts and you want specific discount prices, then you must simply change the product prices. If this is what you required, then you could perhaps create a custom/bespoke field to hold and display the original retail price whilst an item is being sold for a lower price.

Look in the module zip for the Documentation.html as that contains the most accurate information. Specials are Promotions and are at point 9 in the index.

Reagrds,
Rob

P.s. You'll find that NB Store does some things (performance, image management) better than asp storefront, but others are still lacking, or may not be implemented at all without sponsorship. I've had a look at your store and in particular the comments and ratings aren't present. There is however a module on Snowcovered that can be used to add this functionality to any page, including dynamic pages, and it just might work for this. Cross-sells aren't built -in or automated in any way at this point, so the onl option is to simply link to other products from a given product's description.

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Hi,

Also when displaying the sale price you can use the [TAG:SALEPRICE] token.  This will only display the sale price when a sale price exists, so you can place it in a standard template.  The only problem is that the original [TAG:FROMPRICE] token will still display as normal, not striked out or anything.  Therefore you may have to have a different template for you products that are on sale.   Hopefully in a future version we'll get a token that can display dynamic data based on if a saleprice is there or not.

Dave.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Thanks guys for the replies and clarification.  NB Store is off to a great start and it looks like it will be a viable e-commerce option for a lot of DNNers.  Unfortunately the feature set is too limited for our present needs.  We've been researching quite extensively for a solution and presently we're leaning towards AbleCommerce.  I would like to encourage you to keep up the great work though ... I was really hoping this package would work out for us ... it really is getting off to a great start.

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Hi,

I've just replied to your post on the seablick blog....just to reinterate...if you could list some of the features NB_Store is missing for you, it'll help us make the roadmap move in a direction that can help everybody.

Thanks,

Dave.